Dosing metroplex in water column for internal parasites?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically I’m QT for the preventative treatment of internal parasites and brook, uronema. I’m dosing metroplex in the water column 2 scoops per 10 gallons. Is it necessary to food soak for internal parasites? Seachem states you can dose either way for both internal and external parasites, but I know some disease experts that still want to dose medications in food for internal parasites.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dosed general cure for 14 days, which has metro, and still had a couple of fish with internal parasites. So I would say put it in with food to have better odds. However, I've never been able to get a fish to eat it. They would always spit the food out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically I’m QT for the preventative treatment of internal parasites and brook, uronema. I’m dosing metroplex in the water column 2 scoops per 10 gallons. Is it necessary to food soak for internal parasites? Seachem states you can dose either way for both internal and external parasites, but I know some disease experts that still want to dose medications in food for internal parasites.
Oral dosing is better, but not with metronidazole - as said, it is too bitter. The joke is: if you make medicate3d food with metro in and and your fish eat it, the dose is too low.

Saltwater fish constantly drink tank water, so adding metro to the tank is one way to control internal protozoans in fish. However, not all internal parasites are protozoans.

Jay

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oral dosing is better, but not with metronidazole - as said, it is too bitter. The joke is: if you make medicate3d food with metro in and and your fish eat it, the dose is too low.

Saltwater fish constantly drink tank water, so adding metro to the tank is one way to control internal protozoans in fish. However, not all internal parasites are protozoans.

Jay
What medications will control internal parasites if not metro?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What medications will control internal parasites if not metro?
Dimetronidazole (spelling?) isn’t as bitter, but you need to get it from a vet and it still has to be made into a food hat has the proper dose. Epsom salts, at 3% by weight of food will expel flagellates.
Jay

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimetronidazole (spelling?) isn’t as bitter, but you need to get it from a vet and it still has to be made into a food hat has the proper dose. Epsom salts, at 3% by weight of food will expel flagellates.

Praziquantel is supposed to be the worst tasting drug so if you only need metronidazole maybe avoid General Cure.

Gel food seems to hide the taste of anything. Perhaps because the drug is blended in during preparation before the gel sets.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Praziquantel is supposed to be the worst tasting drug so if you only need metronidazole maybe avoid General Cure.

Gel food seems to hide the taste of anything. Perhaps because the drug is blended in during preparation before the gel sets.
I thought it was the other way around - metronidazole is metallic/bitter and prazi was more palatable (at least at the dose used for fish). I’ve never been able to get fish to feed properly dosed metro food (5000 ppm). They’ll try it once, then never again. Gel diet and even cod liver oil didn’t help.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back