Dosing nitrates and phosphates increase

Felix_Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I've been dosing NeoNitro to increase my nitrates (which stay at 0) but, every time I do it I get a spike in phosphates.

Does anyone came across this and is there an explanation for this?

Thanks!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a correlation between bacteria that consume po4 and no3. What is your spike, how long have you been dosing, and how long have you been 0 on nitrates?

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have a problem with Low Phosphate and Nitrates, both are at 0 I have been dosing both Neonitro and NeoPhos for two weeks now, i just increased the dosage by double and things are still at 0, the Nitrates went up a tad to 0.02 but pretty much nothing.

The tank is 150 gallons and is a 1 1/2 year old, I only have 3 Tangs with some mushrooms. I had some Cyanobacteria which is gone now after treating it. I do have some Dino which is why I'm trying to increase the levels to at least 0.01 for Phosphate and 0.10 for Nitrates, I have also increased the white led an additional 5% a couple days and see if the lighting was also an issue for the Dino, but seems that I cannot get the levels up.

I have left my skimmer off for 3 weeks now, I do have a sock I change everyday and a small softball size Chaeto ball in my sump.

What a mission to get these values up, I do not want to purchase any corals because i want to stabilize my tank, I was thinking on getting two more tangs, and some crabs and cleaning crews and see if they help building up the levels.

Thanks for any advise in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 28

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 tangs in a 150?

You need more bioload.
Do you think getting a couple more tangs and 3 or 4 chromis will help ?or should I stay away from Chromis I'm not a fan of them..

Should I use chemicals to introduce bioload and what would you recommend ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have a problem with Low Phosphate and Nitrates, both are at 0 I have been dosing both Neonitro and NeoPhos for two weeks now, i just increased the dosage by double and things are still at 0, the Nitrates went up a tad to 0.02 but pretty much nothing.

The tank is 150 gallons and is a 1 1/2 year old, I only have 3 Tangs with some mushrooms. I had some Cyanobacteria which is gone now after treating it. I do have some Dino which is why I'm trying to increase the levels to at least 0.01 for Phosphate and 0.10 for Nitrates, I have also increased the white led an additional 5% a couple days and see if the lighting was also an issue for the Dino, but seems that I cannot get the levels up.

I have left my skimmer off for 3 weeks now, I do have a sock I change everyday and a small softball size Chaeto ball in my sump.

What a mission to get these values up, I do not want to purchase any corals because i want to stabilize my tank, I was thinking on getting two more tangs, and some crabs and cleaning crews and see if they help building up the levels.

Thanks for any advise in advance.

The Brightwell products are fairly dilute. if you believe your test, just keep upping the dose.

When they run out, I'd switch the food grade sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate. Cheaper and with an assurance of purity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I use chemicals to introduce bioload and what would you recommend ?

I'm not sure what you mean. You mean dosing nitrate and phosphate, or dosing ammonia?

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean. You mean dosing nitrate and phosphate, or dosing ammonia?
I'm currently dosing Brightwell Neonitro and NeoPhos, but seems to do nothing, not sure how to increase the Bioload without buying fishes, not sure if they have another chemical product that can help me increase the bioload to balance things out and then get more fish and start adding corals ...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently dosing Brightwell Neonitro and NeoPhos, but seems to do nothing, not sure how to increase the Bioload without buying fishes, not sure if they have another chemical product that can help me increase the bioload to balance things out and then get more fish and start adding corals ...

Dose more. Not sure what you even mean by bioload.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found over the years that my tanks seem to respond better to an increase in bioload(more fish, inverts, etc), then bottled products.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used the triton products with success. They are expensive, but they definitely brought my levels up quickly when they bottomed out recently.

For the Dinos, blowing of the rocks every night really made a difference as well. See if you can knock it back enough for other things to start to out compete it. I killed the Dinos in 3 weeks so it can be done.

Even though your tank is 1-1:2 years old, given the low bioload and dry starting rock, your tank is essentially still maturing, so give it time.

For adding a bunch of fish… I’m a big fan of 4-5 anthias (one male)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly, increasing feeding will, at some point, give increased nitrate and phosphate. It may not provide the relative amounts you want, and does other things too, so dosing nitrate and/or phosphate is a perfectly reasonable way to go if you are trying to avoid levels too low.

That said, I'm not a fan of Brightwell products, and you can get less expensive nitrate and phosphate products with a better assurance of purity.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly, increasing feeding will, at some point, give increased nitrate and phosphate. It may not provide the relative amounts you want, and does other things too, so dosing nitrate and/or phosphate is a perfectly reasonable way to go if you are trying to avoid levels too low.

That said, I'm not a fan of Brightwell products, and you can get less expensive nitrate and phosphate products with a better assurance of purity.

Dose more. Not sure what you even mean by bioload.
Above they mentioned about increasing Bioload, so is why I was referring to. Perhaps what can I use instead of Brightwell products that are super expensive...

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used the triton products with success. They are expensive, but they definitely brought my levels up quickly when they bottomed out recently.

For the Dinos, blowing of the rocks every night really made a difference as well. See if you can knock it back enough for other things to start to out compete it. I killed the Dinos in 3 weeks so it can be done.

Even though your tank is 1-1:2 years old, given the low bioload and dry starting rock, your tank is essentially still maturing, so give it time.

For adding a bunch of fish… I’m a big fan of 4-5 anthias (one male)
Thank you for the advise will certainly will try blowing it daily... Thank you.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly dose more, and cheaper with alternative(I'm not a fan of either of those too myself)products like randy suggested, but 3 tangs in a 150 isn't much.

IMO I think in the long run it would be cheaper and easier to just add more fish.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly dose more, and cheaper with alternative(I'm not a fan of either of those too myself)products like randy suggested, but 3 tangs in a 150 isn't much.

IMO I think in the long run it would be cheaper and easier to just add more fish.
Yes that is what I was thinking eventually be cheaper buying a fish weekly than buy two bottles weekly...lol thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above they mentioned about increasing Bioload, so is why I was referring to. Perhaps what can I use instead of Brightwell products that are super expensive...

If you feed more, with or without adding fish, that would be called increasing bioload, and one effect of increased bioload is increased nitrate and phosphate.

Since that may be the only effect you want, dosing those exact things is a good plan, and isn't called increasing bioload.

Food grade sodium nitrate and phosphate are the topics of dozens of threads here. They can be obtained from amazon for far less than the Brightwell products, and should not in any way be considered second rate. if anything, I'd use them over Brightwell even if they cost more since they are of known purity and the Brightwell products are not.

Examples:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish and fish foods are certainly not cheaper (except perhaps petco specials), but they might be "easier" and might be more fun. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back