Dosing nitrates and phosphates increase

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and fish foods are certainly not cheaper (except perhaps petco specials), but they might be "easier" and might be more fun. :)
Over brightwells products, I might have to disagree with you on that one. :)

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feed more, with or without adding fish, that would be called increasing bioload, and one effect of increased bioload is increased nitrate and phosphate.

Since that may be the only effect you want, dosing those exact things is a good plan, and isn't called increasing bioload.

Food grade sodium nitrate and phosphate are the topics of dozens of threads here. They can be obtained from amazon for far less than the Brightwell products, and should not in any way be considered second rate. if anything, I'd use them over Brightwell even if they cost more since they are of known purity and the Brightwell products are not.

Examples:

Thank you for the advise Randy and also the education, need to use the correct lingo sorry if it mis lead anyone.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question, should I remove my filter sock and turn off skimmer until I bring the levels up ?

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy's suggestions are spot on. I personally use Triton because I'm too busy (lazy) to mix up my own solutions and I trust the Triton purity. Plus, I also dose the Triton NH Alpha product which is ammonia dosing (I don't recommend that at all when you're starting out).

If cost is of concern, then dosing with products Randy suggested is really going to be your go to, to get things balanced.

As for adding fish, I would look at that as a long term solution (and a natural constant low dose ammonia production which corals like).

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question, should I remove my filter sock and turn off skimmer until I bring the levels up ?

Filter sock actually helps with the dinos. When you blow it off, it'll capture a lot and then you can swap it out every couple days. Skimmer and sock will capture stuff that is going to take a long time to break down anyway, so you're better off leaving them on and dosing.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy's suggestions are spot on. I personally use Triton because I'm too busy (lazy) to mix up my own solutions and I trust the Triton purity. Plus, I also dose the Triton NH Alpha product which is ammonia dosing (I don't recommend that at all when you're starting out).

If cost is of concern, then dosing with products Randy suggested is really going to be you're go to, to get things balanced.

As for adding fish, I would look at that as a long term solution (and a natural constant low dose ammonia production which corals like).
I was going to bring up how corals prefer ammonia over residual N&P, but figured it was an advanced topic, and might be over the Op's head right now.

Kind of why I suggested just adding more fish.

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up having to dose a total of 11ml in one day to get a reading of .02 po4 in my 10 gallon, back to 0.00 by the morning. Can't wait for it to stabilize testing 5 a day is getting old.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to bring up how corals prefer ammonia over residual N&P, but figured it was an advanced topic, and might be over the Op's head right now.

Kind of why I suggested just adding more fish.

Yes, dosing ammonia is also a fine plan that some are doing. But if you need N and P, feeding more is also fine.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys is this something i can use ? I have Prime so was wondering if is the same as "

Sodium Phosphate Dibasic "​

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 4.20.13 PM.png

This was suggested Randy, but the above wanted to get confirmation...

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 4.23.19 PM.png

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Lab Grade" is not really a useful designation. It can mean anything.

Good grades are USP (pharma), FCC (food) WCC (water supply grade), or ACS Reagent grade.

The nitrate one is good.
Thanks a bunch Randy learned lots today....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only see part of the ad, but it looks good.

Searching food grade sodium phosphate at amazon turns up many suitable products. There are fewer nitrate ones.

It can be trisodium phosphate, disodium phosphate, or monosodium phosphate.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back