Dosing Nitrates and Phosphates

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
despite dosing 14 ml of neophos and 30ml of neonitro in a reefer 450 for 3 days now i still have 0 po4 and no3 went from 3-5ppm. i am slowly upping the neophos now at 17ml/day. keeping no3 same since it wad rising but now im increasing PO4. daily test at end if photoperiod. also.... after not movung for months alk is dropping .1dkh/day since starting dosing.

20200509_213400.jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are on track.

But be careful - when PO4 has hit zero for such a long time that it hurts the corals - your storage in sand and rock is empty. When you start dosing PO4 - beside the uptake from photosynthesis - the storage will be filled too. When its filled - you will see what´s means with the Ketchup effect :p If you notice that your corals start to grow again - they get their needed PO4 and the flux is enough even if you do not read any leftover in the water column.

The trick is to have a dose that give the corals what they need from direct dosing but also from the back and forth PO4 flux from the "storage room". I prefer to read a little left over - around 0.05 - 0.08 because - if so - I know that there is reserves that will be used if something going wrong with the dosing. But theoretical - it is possible to read 0 if you dose every day. To read 0 for a long time when you dose is a total different thing compared with reading 0 for a long time without dosing. It is not the leftover that's important - it is the daily flux. And I think that the concentration at the end of the photoperiod is the best tool.

Sincerely Lasse

Fer21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 15G nano tank that has been running since February of this year( 4months old) it has been sitting at zero nitrates and 0 phosphates for the last month and a half.

I’m trying to raise my No3 and PO4, I have started dosing 1ml of FaStar-M from Brightwell three days ago but no detectable Readings yet.

I’m trying to raise my levels to not run into Dino’s and to also have a bit of a dirty tank. I have soft, lps and SPS corals, which I’ve read benefit from having a not so clean tank.

1. Is dosing FaStar M any good? (I had it laying around that’s why I use it, it claims to have nutrients in it to raise No3 and PO4)

2.Should I increase dosage, feed more or both or use something different?

I use Salifert for both No3 and PO4, gonna get Hanna Checker this week.

Thank You.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Is dosing FaStar M any good? (I had it laying around that’s why I use it, it claims to have nutrients in it to raise No3 and PO4)

2.Should I increase dosage, feed more or both or use something different?

1) personally - I prefer to individually dose NO3 and PO4 - but I´m sure that your compound will work too

2) See my above post. For phosphate - we have discovered that feeding reef roids will give a lot of phosphate too - its a good way if you have a lot of stony corals - both feed and rise the PO4. Feeding a lot of Nori will increase the N content too
3) My personal experiences - if I have started to try to resolve a problem in one way - the worst to do is to suddenly change to another approach before time have validate if it is right or not

Sincerely Lasse

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing 2ppm of nitrates daily, that's barely enough to keep it at around 1-3 ppm nitrates. Phosphates are very low too, I have to add it too, even though I have lots of hair / cotton algae and cyano. This hobby is quite frustrating sometimes :/
I wish I would have never tried lowering it with nopox, because I didnt consider that after the water change it would lower even more and I my nitrates down to 2 and 0 phosphates. I think maybe using gfo for a while had my phosphates really low even b4 I quit that and just used nopox. But now that I have nutrients so low I cant get them back up!!! I have been feeding corals nightly and only feeding 2 times a week before and thats what up them and now nightly feeding wont up them! It makes no sense and I am getting cyano or maybe dino's (not quite sure what it is) I dosed neophos by Brightwell 2 x's to no avail! I guess I will order some nitrate stuff to dose and try that! I hope I am not stuck having to dose this stuff for the life of my tank!

ricky1348

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are on track.

But be careful - when PO4 has hit zero for such a long time that it hurts the corals - your storage in sand and rock is empty. When you start dosing PO4 - beside the uptake from photosynthesis - the storage will be filled too. When its filled - you will see what´s means with the Ketchup effect :p If you notice that your corals start to grow again - they get their needed PO4 and the flux is enough even if you do not read any leftover in the water column.

The trick is to have a dose that give the corals what they need from direct dosing but also from the back and forth PO4 flux from the "storage room". I prefer to read a little left over - around 0.05 - 0.08 because - if so - I know that there is reserves that will be used if something going wrong with the dosing. But theoretical - it is possible to read 0 if you dose every day. To read 0 for a long time when you dose is a total different thing compared with reading 0 for a long time without dosing. It is not the leftover that's important - it is the daily flux. And I think that the concentration at the end of the photoperiod is the best tool.

Sincerely Lasse
Great info here....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back