Dosing phosphates?

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick context:
I have a reefer 250, a rebuild that is at least 7 or 8 months old. There are no fish, only snails, and hermit crabs. I'm planning to add a pin-cushion urchin in the near future to help with the small amounts of free-growing chaeto and another type of algae growing. I've been able to keep most of the corals I have in there alive and encrusting - a new win for me. While troubleshooting the health of a new maxima clam last week, I began ramping up the AP700 from 30% output to a max of around 90-100%. At the same time, I learned that my nutrients were very low and have since increased them. I am finding that my corals and clam appear to be doing great and want to keep it up. I've never been able to remove access nutrients before but now I have to add them, so it's new territory for me.

I got my phosphates to 1.0 and nitrates to 10 on Wednesday. I stopped dosing since. Tonight I tested phosphates and nitrates and found that my phosphates had dropped down to 0.03 and my nitrates are sitting at 15.

I speculate my nitrates may have climbed as I attempted to feed the corals the past few days. I assume it would have stayed around 10 or below if I kept up with my normal dosing and snail/crab feeding regimen. I dose NOPOX and have no mechanical filtration. Water goes through matrix media in the sump.

I'm a bit concerned about my phosphates. Is a drop of 0.07 over three days common for phosphates? Is dosing phosphates daily typical? I have a dosing head available so I could automate it but want to make sure it's normal. I don't want to be adding it only to find it I'm feeding something undesirable.

OP
OP
Chee-tomorpha

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is lightly stocked. About 15 starter acros, 6 various LPS, 8 zoas, and one maxima clam.

Recent pics after lights out.
PXL_20221028_041850306.jpg

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, yes this is very common for new/newish tanks. I have to dose phosphate daily in my 6 month old system and it will drop to 0.0 if I don’t. Once you saturate the system, phosphate will remain stable or start to rise.

OP
OP
Chee-tomorpha

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, yes this is very common for new/newish tanks. I have to dose phosphate daily in my 6 month old system and it will drop to 0.0 if I don’t. Once you saturate the system, phosphate will remain stable or start to rise.

I'll continue dose small amounts daily manually. How long would you say it'll take to saturate?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back