Dosing submerged vs above water level?

  • Thread starter Thread starter West1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2016
Messages
2,226
Reaction score
689
Location
Idaho
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone else dose submerged?

I’ve always dosed above water and after time, I get crud buildup. A buddy of mine has been dosing submerged and says he would never go back to dosing above water.

I dose BRS 2 part, kalk and reef moonshine. I currently have 20 active dosing heads and need at least 1 more set of 4. I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth buying new redsea tubing to get the extra 4-5” per doser. I don’t want to risk any leaking so I’d replace each line.

Ty
 
I’ve been wondering this too. My Versa sucks air when it does its return to home. Eventually I have to purge the air that makes its way to the pump.
 
I've been considering the same thing. I only dose AFR, a little Part B to make up for the additional alk I need, and vinegar. However, I have to de-crust the lines every week.

The big risk I see is that the liquids at the tip of the lines will get mixed with the tank water. I don't know how far up the line brownian motion will take the contamination.
 
Wouldn't placing your dosing lines below the water surface require re-calibration? How would you measure the amount of fluid delivered through a submerged line?
 
I've been dosing AFR below the water line for nearly 2 years and have only recently had to clear a clog. Roughly 2-3 months ago.
 
Anyone else dose submerged?

I’ve always dosed above water and after time, I get crud buildup. A buddy of mine has been dosing submerged and says he would never go back to dosing above water.

I dose BRS 2 part, kalk and reef moonshine. I currently have 20 active dosing heads and need at least 1 more set of 4. I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth buying new redsea tubing to get the extra 4-5” per doser. I don’t want to risk any leaking so I’d replace each line.

Ty

There are drawbacks to each method. Some folks, including me, attach the ATO to the delivery tube right before it is released into the air above the water to prevent drying accumulation of solids.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new