Dosing Vibrant

brick-brothers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have anyone tried this stuff? If so what was the outcome? Need feed back before I start using this.

20211026_040431.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good stuff and I have used it with no issues on my SPS dominant mixed reef to eradicate my GHA issue. What are you trying to accomplish? If it's bryopsis then this will not work.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used it. It’s not fast but definitely works for green hair algae. I used it on several tanks that were pretty bad. Identify the issue of how the nutrients got out of control, manually remove of as much as possible and stay on top of it. Run media reactor with GFO/phosgard. Continue to dose vibrant. That has worked for me multiple times. Not identifying the root problem though you’ll be fighting an uphill battle. But yeah it definitely works.

OP
OP
brick-brothers

brick-brothers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good stuff and I have used it with no issues on my SPS dominant mixed reef to eradicate my GHA issue. What are you trying to accomplish? If it's bryopsis then this will not work.
I have green hair algae. Everything is on point except for my Nitrates. I just test my Nitrates using Hanna HR and it was at 15.1. So I'm not sure if I should try this or try the Red Sea Nopox

OP
OP
brick-brothers

brick-brothers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I just seen that there's different types of vibrant. My tank is sps dominant and I bought the saltwater version. Can I use this 1 bottle and then switch to the Reef version. My total water volume is 500g.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my readings in the huge vibrant thread back when I was dosing it, the only difference between the saltwater version, and the reef version is their strength.

It was suggested by @UWC if you accidentally bought the saltwater version instead of the reef version is to dose it by half. So if the saltwater version recommends 3ml, dose 1.5 in your reef(no idea what the dosing is, just used those numbers as a reference).

OP
OP
brick-brothers

brick-brothers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my readings in the huge vibrant thread back when I was dosing it, the only difference between the saltwater version, and the reef version is their strength.

It was suggested by @UWC if you accidentally bought the saltwater version instead of the reef version is to dose it by half. So if the saltwater version recommends 3ml, dose 1.5 in your reef(no idea what the dosing is, just used those numbers as a reference).
Ok got it. Well at the end of the day the bottle should last longer since the doses will be half which is a plus

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is good news and a great way to get more Vibrant for your dollar. But, I wonder how that was determined? Did the poster in the Vibrant thread notate where they got that juicy tid-bit?
I have green hair algae. Everything is on point except for my Nitrates. I just test my Nitrates using Hanna HR and it was at 15.1. So I'm not sure if I should try this or try the Red Sea Nopox
I would try and find out how your nitrates got to that point, what you are doing to possibly cause high levels, and first see what you can do to make changes to get that under control. Do you employ a refugium? How old is your system? What are you doing actively now to reduce nitrates? When all other methods fail you can then go to NoPox. Understand, this is a method to deal with the levels but not the cause. Sort of like treating the symptoms but ignoring the disease. Don't forget to do both.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good news and a great way to get more Vibrant for your dollar. But, I wonder how that was determined? Did the poster in the Vibrant thread notate where they got that juicy tid-bit?

The manufacturer of the product said so. Notice the bold where I mentioned the manufacturer?

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manufacturer of the product said so. Notice the bold where I mentioned the manufacturer?
Was not aware that @UWC was the manufacturer here on R2R. Learn something every, single, day.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful using it.....I have used it successfully on SPS tanks, and I have had it wipe out a few SPS tanks. The tanks that reacted negatively starting showing RTS/STN by week 3 of dosing (following instructions on bottle). Never could figure out why it works on one but not another. Had nothing to do with nutrients bottoming out as many claim (tested daily throughout the dosing period).

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was not aware that @UWC was the manufacturer here on R2R. Learn something every, single, day.
Just realized my poste might have come off as dickish, sorry didn't mean it to sound that way.

I've used vibrant many times, even have a bottle on hand "just in case". And as @Waters noted, it effects some corals, and some don't seem to be effected. Even the same corals that thrived through my first treatment, didn't take to well to another round a few years later. Also as he noted, my nutrients never bottomed out as others had noted, and contributed that to coral death.

OP
OP
brick-brothers

brick-brothers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Been trying to figure out why my Nitrates is high myself. I feed once a day, frozen mysis. I run it under hot water to thaw it out before I feed my fish. I do my 10% water changes weekly. I have a 40g fuge with chaeto in it. I did notice alot of detritus building up in the fuge. I clean it out weekly now. But I'll keep yall posted as to the source of the problem

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it and dosed for 7 weeks straight, that in combination with 4 weeks of dosing hydrogen peroxide eliminated my GHA. after a couple of weeks I started syphoning the rocks religiously everyday and towards the end, the GHA just sloughed off the rocks.
Now this was all done while dropping phosphates and nitrates so it was an assault on several fronts which has me now GHA free for several months.

Good luck in your battle

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used vibrant, it did nothing for me besides making the glass get dirty slightly slower. I used the saltwater version with no issues.
Reef flux (fluconazole) is what fixed my gha issue, I'd recommend doing some research on that, i only used a single half dose of it and it fixed my very persistent issue.

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had GHA and tried reef flux x 2, and it didn't do anything to it. Reef flux definitely takes care of bryopsis, but GHA is hit or miss.

I tried vibrant afterwards and it took care of my GHA.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back