Dosing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of cycling that 60 gallon tank I got from you guys. When should I start dosing with calcium and alkalinity for the coralline?

Rob from vero

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start testing and then you will know when and what you need to add.

shecter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no real need to dose until you have something using up the trace elements. let it cycle then when you add coral that uses the calcium and alk dose it. coralline will come. just my opinion.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The info here is a little scary aside from one. :( Gotta say I'm a little surprised.
New tanks do not need to be dosed with anything! And if your trying to *hurry up* the natural process of things your only going to cause yourself and your tank issues down the road.
Your coralline will grow as your tank matures. If you want to help it, ask someone for a piece of LR with coralline on it and add it to your tank. It's called seeding :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

navila06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree, it wont hurt a thing to test your parameters, and start getting them where they need to be. What issues down the road will arise from adding calcium and a buffer?

The info here is a little scary aside from one. :( Gotta say I'm a little surprised.
New tanks do not need to be dosed with anything! And if your trying to *hurry up* the natural process of things your only going to cause yourself and your tank issues down the road.
Your coralline will grow as your tank matures. If you want to help it, ask someone for a piece of LR with coralline on it and add it to your tank. It's called seeding :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not waste any money buying any supplements at this time. If you're using a "reef" type salt mix, i.e. Reef Crystals, there will be more than enough Ca, Mg and Alk to grow coraline algae. I would mix your salt to a SG of 1.026. If you feel like you want to test, get the new Red Sea Pro kit that contains all three of those tests. I wouldn't waste any money on Purple up either. You will need something in the tank that has some coraline on it, i.e. snails, rocks, etc., other than that it's just a waiting game.

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply. Just to echo the others we recommend not dosing until you add corals and even then you should test your alkalinity to know how much to dose.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about testing after tank cycles and you start adding things. Thats when you decide what needs to be added to tank. There is no time frame as to when you should add anything. I have seen very successful reefs were the aquarist only did water changes with a good coral salt and never had to add anything. Don't think that you have to add a bunch of stuff into your tank to be successfull.

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about testing after tank cycles and you start adding things. Thats when you decide what needs to be added to tank. There is no time frame as to when you should add anything. I have seen very successful reefs were the aquarist only did water changes with a good coral salt and never had to add anything. Don't think that you have to add a bunch of stuff into your tank to be successfull.

There ya go as usual mike, always with the good advice!
plus 1 :thumbup:

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Last edited:

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got an empty tank filled with clean water and good salt, adding anything or dosing is actually called polluting... IMO.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou Mr. Zack just trying to help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back