Double dip worth the trouble?

tchat

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2026
Messages
45
Reaction score
26
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im getting in my first “large for me” shipment of corals. 2 hammers, one frogspawn, and 5 Zoa frags from Coral Stop. I plan to dip all in a peroxide based solution upon arrival. I have a newly cycled 3 gal pico tank I could place them in to settle for a couple days and then re dip, and place in my main 75 gal display. My thoughts on the second dip is that it may remove any freshly hatched creatures that the first dip didn’t cover.

My question is, is it worthwhile to do that? I’m sure that does not exclude all pests and I’m not sure if the pico tank is a suitable environment for a long term QT with repeated dips and observation. Any advice? Flow in the pico tank is only one HOB filter FWIW. Thanks
 
Better safe than sorry, double dip,scrub gently ,rinse in SW ,repeat,watch ammonia in pico
 
Better safe than sorry, double dip,scrub gently ,rinse in SW ,repeat,watch ammonia in pico
If ammonia spikes water change or let it ride? I’ve heard ammonia isn’t harmful to corals im not sure that’s considered a consensus view
 
IMO , yes water change ,WIWD... 🙂
 
If ammonia spikes water change or let it ride? I’ve heard ammonia isn’t harmful to corals im not sure that’s considered a consensus view
If you're adding only corals to a new tank, I would typically say that you don't have to worry about ammonia. The corals produce far less ammonia than a fish or two would, and you're right that corals can uptake and use ammonia directly, so a low level of ammonia is actually beneficial to corals.

That said, you're talking about a very small tank, so keep an eye on ammonia. If it gets to about 1.00 ppm or higher I would indeed take action and lower it with water changes. Don't trust things like Seachem Prime, these products do not mitigate ammonia as advertised.
 
For corals, I would use a coral dip. I prefer melafix and potassium chloride mix, very gentle on corals, but deadly for pests. I usually let it "soak" for 15 mins in the solution. I would not dip corals in peroxide, it's too harsh...peroxide just the frag plug for algae. But if you have good clean up crew, don't even need peroxide.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new