Double Float Switch Example

trustychords

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would share my double float switch setup.

I have two float switches wired in series to a common inlet.

The primary float switch sits in the water. When water evaporates, the buoy sinks, and it triggers the ATO. This is normal operation.

The secondary float switch sits above the water line and the buoy is reversed. That means it triggers when the buoy floats to the top of the sensor (rather than when it sinks).

If a snail or something sits on the primary float switch depressing it and the ATO triggers, it will only fill to the point where the secondary float switch is activated because once the secondary float switch is activated, it will cut off the ATO.

It is much easier to understand with pictures (below). The primary float switch is on the right and the secondary is on the left. I am holding up the wire showing that they are wired together. I attached another pic showing how they were soldered together. Once you twist the two float switch wires together and solder them, you then solder them to your extension wire. This then connects to your hardware (in my case the excellent RoboTank!).

I also use the "disable" option to stop the ATO if it runs for more than a few seconds (I have a small tank).

This setup is a double fail-safe and I haven't had it fail.

floatswitch_pic.jpg

dual_float_switch.jpg

Last edited:

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would share my double float switch setup.

I have two float switches wired in series to a common inlet.

The primary float switch sits in the water. When water evaporates, the buoy sinks, and it triggers the ATO. This is normal operation.

The secondary float switch sits above the water line and the buoy is reversed. That means it triggers when the buoy floats to the top of the sensor (rather than when it sinks).

If a snail or something sits on the primary float switch depressing it and the ATO triggers, it will only fill to the point where the secondary float switch is activated because once the secondary float switch is activated, it will cut off the ATO.

It is much easier to understand with pictures (below). The primary float switch is on the right and the secondary is on the left. I am holding up the wire showing that they are wired together. I attached another pic showing how they were soldered together. Once you twist the two float switch wires together and solder them, you then solder them to your extension wire. This then connects to your hardware (in my case the excellent RoboTank!).

I also use the "disable" option to stop the ATO if it runs for more than a few seconds (I have a small tank).

This setup is a double fail-safe and I haven't had it fail.

floatswitch_pic.jpg

dual_float_switch.jpg
Thanks for sharing, that's cool. So you have both connected to the same sensor port and one control setup in reef-pi? Are you also using one of the backup float ports for either the pump DC or AC port?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome :) . Thank you for sharing. I have not ventured beyond single float switch and disable feature. But I do have received notification on ato overrun and disabled. Almost always due to ato container running out of water of overflow clogging

OP
OP
T

trustychords

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large are your snails? lol :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I've actually had it happen once! They don' t have to be too big. I've also heard stories of algae or debris clogging the switch keeping it in the down position.

Thanks for sharing, that's cool. So you have both connected to the same sensor port and one control setup in reef-pi? Are you also using one of the backup float ports for either the pump DC or AC port?

Yes, they are wired to the same sensor port and controlled via one control setup in Reef-Pi. I'm not using a backup port for the ATO pump (which is AC). What benefit would that have? Could I have a third switch or sensor that would cut the power if triggered?

Awesome :) . Thank you for sharing. I have not ventured beyond single float switch and disable feature. But I do have received notification on ato overrun and disabled. Almost always due to ato container running out of water of overflow clogging

It is probably over kill. Although, it is handy if you forget to set the "disable" feature or accidently turn it off!

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are wired to the same sensor port and controlled via one control setup in Reef-Pi. I'm not using a backup port for the ATO pump (which is AC). What benefit would that have? Could I have a third switch or sensor that would cut the power if triggered?
If you plug the pump into outlet 1 or 2 and add a float to the AC 1 or 2 backup port that will turn off the outlet no matter what the Pi says, this is good if the Pi or SD card fails while the pump is on, just an extra layer of protection.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an ato by magtool on amazon. I cant figure out where to instal float switch!

Anyway, It comes with a dual sensor with a low level and high level. It also come with a float switch. My question is where do I install the float switch? They havnt answered me and there is only 1 youtube and he installs in right above the pump a few inches maybe.

You have to cut the tubing to instal and I don't want to put in on the wrong place!

The digaram that comes with it shows it outside of the reservoir but it dosnt make sense because it still shows it close to the pump. The pump is way down at the bottom of a 2 1/2 gallon container like lfs sell for buying rodi!

Hopefully you dont mind helping me out! You seem very smart about these things and I am not savvy at all!

Attachments

• check valve.jpg
    check valve.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 18

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back