Double shrimp death - Anemone culprits

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is about the most bizarre thing I've had happen yet.

So I have two tanks with anemones in them - one has a black widow BTA that's about 6 inches when expanded, and the other has a handful of rock flower anemones, each one between 2-3 inches.

Today, in a very strange series of coincidences, both of the cleaner shrimps in these tanks have ended up inside of an anemone.

The Rock flower tank had a blood red fire shrimp, and I woke up today and saw its tail sticking out of one of the anemones.

20231021_144957.jpg

Now I saw the fire shrimp late last night roaming around the tank, so it was alive then. Somehow it ended up inside of the rock flower. I pulled out the remains just a bit ago and the insides were pretty much slurped out, leaving the shell behind.

Meanwhile, my BTA tank's black widow was open this morning and I don't specifically recall seeing the skunk cleaner, but I walked by a bit later and the anemone is super deflated as I've read happens when it's expelling remains or had a large meal, and the skunk cleaner is nowhere to be seen. I can't fully confirm that it's gone, but it seems mighty coincidental.

I'm now 0/3 for keeping red fire shrimp alive in my rock flower tank (other deaths were unrelated) so I think I'm going to stop spending top dollar on expensive shrimp! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Maybe it's time for that goby/pistol shrimp pair.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the....

So confused

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-21-22-32-45-06_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-21-22-32-45-06_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 33

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those anemones are capable of killing fish or shrimp. Their stings are strong enough to kill them
Unless they were dying/dead

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the same day, I suspect molts at first.

My inverts oddly all molt in both my tanks on the same day. Idk if a nem has the ability to suck the meat out of the shell before swallowing the entire shrimp.

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll update if I find the fire shrimp. The corpse looked strange... and it had molted fairly recently, but it's certainly possible. Shocked the heck out of me.

I wouldn't however be surprised if the BTA did eat the cleaner shrimp. I'd love for it to be otherwise and this is just me jumping to conclusions. Fingers crossed.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah hope you find em ok - I've had my fire shrimp a few years now. I'd hate to have buy em today - they have a significant price tag at my LFS

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

There's still no signs of either shrimp. I'm not convinced that the rock flower had anything to do with the blood fire shrimp's death, and I'm still hoping that he's somehow found the tiniest crack to hide in after a molt, but there are only so many holes in a small rockwork. IF he is dead, I'm certain it was coincidence and the flow that ended him up in an anemone mouth.

I'm about 95% certain that the big black widow ate the skunk cleaner though. It wasn't a fully grown shrimp, and this is a 6 inch bubbletip - as in the oral disk is 6 inches when inflated. I am immensely glad to see that it has fully recovered from its -feed/fight/accidental murder- of the shrimp, because when I first noticed, there was strange white fleshyness visible in the middle of the oral disk like it was dispelling something or was injured. I couldn't get a good view because it was super shriveled at the time.

While looking for the shrimp, I found pieces of a molt elsewhere in the tank, and then I also found the tail piece of the skunk cleaner beneath where the anemone sleeps the day after it disappeared. My theory is that the skunk cleaner molted, and in trying to find a safe place, found a murder monster with a taste for soft shrimps instead. :(

I'll update again in a few days with further confirmation or if anything more changes.

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final report.

Neither shrimp ended up showing back up unfortunately. This bizarre incident has now officially come to a close, semi-mystery notwithstanding.

Thanks to everyone who sympathized or just walked this brief foray into the bizarre world of marine critters and their strange habits and even stranger disappearances.

Signing off for now!

i must go my people need me GIF

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back