Double tapping...

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so double tapping.

I have a brand new $800.00 137G tank, manufacturer calls it a 150, PFFFT. I hate that.

Anyway to my point, it has an internal overflow, the bottom glass has been pre drilled for two one inch lines.
Yes I can deal with that IF I have to, butt has anyone here ever drilled a bigger hole over the existing hole?
I want to install two inch and a half bulkheads.

I don't see a problem in doing this. Clearly the glass is not tempered or the existing holes would not be there.

So I thought I would ask and see if any R2R members or glass workers that may be reading this might have any advice or a reason this can't be done.
Thx in advance. YouTube failed on this subject, plenty of glass drilling videos just not cutting a second hole over the existing one.
Who go shot. Oh sorry we are drilling holes

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm interesting. All the glass bits o have ever had were just solid cups..

Thays how they all come. However Thier is still the arbor the bit attached too and they do make regular glass drill bits. (They look like a spade) arbors are made to accept 1/4” pilots a general rule so one could use a 1/4” glass drill bit with a glass hole saw and get same results as for self centering as a typical wood or metal setup. However 99.9% of glass drill bits are complete garbage and it’s easier to just hole saw the glass with a template instead. This is why most hole saws don’t come with a pilot as there really are bit good ones unless you want to spend a lot more money. They won’t even drill tile worth a dang note less glass which is way harder material.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beans beans the more you eat.... love me some beans and can’t imagine a chili wo some sort of bean.. reds, kidney,pinto I don’t care long as there is a bean in every bite
ive had it both ways. I love chili with neans Chilli with out beans is close to eating sloppy Joe mix

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm interesting. All the glass bits o have ever had were just solid cups..
I will have to correct my post. Got to work and checked the bits again. The Bosch kit I used is not recommended for glass. So you sir are correct. Only cup bits for glass. I guess I got lucky. Drilled mine no problem. Last time I use that set for glass.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I was concerned about the center post bc it puts pressure on the glass in an outward position and could cause the glass to split. The glass hole saw is meant to actually grind through the glass in a downward position and doesnt put any outward pressure on the glass while cutting. But thanks for the follow up.

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are drilled tanks that were tempered after drilling. YouTube has a few videos of these being drilled, and then shattering. Double check before you double tap.

U

User1

View Badges
I've got nothing for this. I thought maybe we are talking about double tapping when killing Zombies.

OP
OP
K7BMG

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double checking with tank manufacturer, before I make the attempt, to drill.

The entire phone and or tablet with polarized lenses seems to reveal no tempering.
But I don't know if I trust my eyes.
I should make video of the drilling, post the results no matter the outcome.

OP
OP
K7BMG

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha Ha double tapping zombies. Yea man we can call it in this thread Swimming dead instead of walking dead LoL....

I thought the title would get a better response.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back