OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is 2x400w MH with Lumenmax XL reflectors and 20k Radium bulbs. I have VHO that I use for dawn and dusk, but dont like them so I am going to sell them.

ronone10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoyed reading your thread. I like the depth of the tank. I am looking at getting a deep dimension and would like to know if you have experienced scratches on the starphire glass? I read that it does scratch more than regular glass.

thanks...

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ronone10: Thanks for the compliment. I love the deep dimension tanks, but I honestly can't tell a difference in the front and side panels (starphire and non-starphire) and I would just get the regular glass. I do have 2 small chips (1mm). It really made me mad, but you can hardly tell unless I point them out.

juicemonkey: If you search you can find a video of mine on youtube. My name on youtube is videodownhiller. If you search you will find it. I only have 1 up of the DD, but I will post an update soon.

dcopeland: thanks. glad to have you along.

UPDATE: I cant control myself, I keep seeing amazing coral and buying it up...lol. I just picked up a sweet fish too. I have a Regal Angel in my frag tank with a variety of SPS and LPS watching it. If the fish behaves and doesn't eat corals then it will go in the display.

Here is the coral, my first Scolly. Bleeding Apple. It fades between orange and red, and has a red rim.

Scolly003.jpg

Scolly004.jpg

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sargassum trigger actually jumped out of the tank. Made me sick when I found him dried up on the floor. I loved that fish! I do however have a few new fish. 4 small yellow tangs, a blue jaw trigger, a niger trigger, and a regal angel. They are all getting along fine and really healthy. So far the angel hasn't touched anything and hasn't caused any problems. It has been about 4 months since I got him and he spent the first 2 in the frag tank. He hasn't eaten prepared foods either though, I guess he just picks at the rocks all day, because he is fat and healthy for sure. I will get some new full tank shots up soon.

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, sorry for the long delay everyone. Here are some update pics of the tank and setup. I really HATE my camera. The tank was crystal clear and full of color when I took these pics, but for some reason my camera makes everything look blurry and really washed out. I have tried tons of settings and don't know what to do about it but until I get a better camera I guess this is the best I am going to get.

First off, here is what I wrapped my stand and canopy in. It is just black fabric that my fiance sewed to make it pleated as you would see surrounding a table for a booth at the fair or something. It is not my dream stand, but it looks rather nice and functions for the time being.

May2010FTS018.jpg

You can get the idea here.

May2010FTS019.jpg

And here are a couple FTS. I wish my camera was better because this tank is really starting to get some great color.

May2010FTS002.jpg

May2010FTS010.jpg

May2010FTS014.jpg

May2010FTS012.jpg

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update. My tank is coming back from a long and gradual crash that took many, many of my corals. I lost probably about 100 strains of coral, but I "think" I figured out the problem. I changed two major things, one was a pump leaking about 50v in my sump and removed my 100g deep sand bed, thinking that something in it could be damaging my corals.

I have gotten new life in the reef world. My local club has offered to give me frags of corals that they had got from me. I had also given 2 different people dozens and dozens of corals because I knew they were dying in my tank. The only things that lived through it was a sunset monti, some zoas, and all of my clams, and a coco worm. The sunset appears to be coloring back up. I will soon be adding a frag here and there and see how it goes.

I also just got back from the Mountain West Reef Fest. It was amazing. A big event as far as I am concerned. We gave away so many prizes, something like 6 fish tanks smallest being 150g!!! I had a good time talking with several vendors and am trying out some new stuff.

The new pro test kits from Red Sea are the wave of the future. They use a very nice screw together dosing syringe, that holds the vile on the bottom. They also use batch specific, spot printed color wheels that compare against a control vile of water. These are going to be the most accurate kits on the market. They are coming out with ca, mg, alk, ammonia, nitrate, and phosphate.

I also am very excited about some new rock, that is manufactured by a company here in Utah, called Cerameco. It is called VitaRock. I have a piece that I am sampling, and I may be adding more. It is very attractive rock and once it covers with coralline I will add it to the display and take new FTS pics.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your tank issues, but glad you are still in and starting back at building up the reef!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back