downhill_biker's 200g Marineland Deep Dimension Starphire

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should notice it really coming together in about a yr....at least thats about how long it took for my sps frags to start looking like nice colonies. thats just my best guesstimate. although my tank is considerably smaller than yours.

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what i was figuring based on the growth rates and how often i was fragging stuff before. i am hoping it will be less time, but it is a lot of open space to fill up.

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you post how your lights are hanging?

i am looking at the same tank and might do all t5s unless i go back to mh

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good curtis, i just posted up some pics of my 120 on here too

eagleeyez5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks good, I cant wait to see all of those corals grow in.

underwaterfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking great! Really like the aquascape. The deminsions of the tank seem to be perfect. And your latest additions are off the hook!

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow guys! I am really sorry that I have not replied to posts for so long. I was out of town over the holidays for about a month. I went to Egypt and it was amazing!!! We saw all of the temples, tombs, pyramids, took a ship down the Nile, rode sail boats, rode cammels, ect. What a great trip. Anyways now back to answering those questions.

chadfarmer: you can see in this picture that my reflectors have tabs on them with screw holes. When i built my canopy frame I just made sure to have small pieces of wood spanning across where those holes line up. Then I just screwed them into the canopy.

Marineland200108.jpg

stylaster: Thanks for the compliment Roy. I am going to check your build out!

underwaterfirefighter: Thanks a lot. The open aquascape does several great things for me. First, I think it is more attractive than "piles" or a "wall" of rocks. Second, it allows for more flow, which means less powerheads and pumps, so less money and unatractive boxes all of the glass. Third, it gives the fish much more room to swim, which I feel makes them happier, really though, they probably dont care, but I really like them having the ability to swim all over. Fourth, it allows you a lot more room for coral to grow. There is so much water space that the corals can truly get huge, and mine will over the next few years before I have to tear the tank down to move.

Nemo Niblets: It was truly love at first sight. I couldn't let the coral go....so it cost me. 1 arm, 1 leg and we were even. Just for some more mouthwatering pics, here is a pic that was taken at the show by one of the other members. Look how happy it was and how colorful. It honestly has lost a lot of color in my tank. I have way too much light with the 400w MH on there, but I have it in a shaded area and hopefully it will come back around.

trachy.jpg

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egypt for a month! Wow, Lifestyles of the rich and famouse. LOL
J/Kin Curtis, Glad you had a fun trip and its nice to see you back on the board.

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry everyone for being gone so long and not updating. I took a trip to Egypt and am just getting back into the swing of things and decided to do an update on my tanks. Thankfully everything survived during my trip and I was very happy to see all of the growth after being gone. (You really notice it when you aren't looking at them every day) I am getting more and more frags and some things are growing in nicely. Some corals might have been placed too close together and are starting to kill each other off. Here are some FTS pics. I still cant get the color right, the blue seems to wash out all of the corals' color and I cant seem to fix it with my white balance.

Egypt3151.jpg

Egypt3152.jpg

Egypt3153.jpg

Egypt3154.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!!

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see my competition piece in there....you should post an update.

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from San Diego and got a bunch of new corals. I just wanted to show everyone a couple of my favorites. Also a few pics of some LPS eating after spot feeding.

This is the sweetest elegance I have ever seen. This pic is taken with no actinics, under my 20k radiums. This was purchased from Reef Empire.

SanDiego2038.jpg

SanDiego2041.jpg

I also got a new clam while I was down there at AquaSD.

SanDiego2037.jpg

And this clam was purchased shortly before I left.

SanDiego2052.jpg

A couple of updates on some frags. Both my icefire and purple monster are growing...but slowly...

SanDiego2049.jpg

SanDiego2050.jpg

And a couple shots of corals eating some of my homemade food.

SanDiego2061.jpg

SanDiego2062.jpg

SanDiego2066.jpg

LPS are pigs. These acans already ate and they want seconds.

SanDiego2069.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 76 45.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.0%
Back