downhill_biker's 200g Marineland Deep Dimension Starphire

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dh biker. i have had many mtn bikes and probably raced for about ten years. i did the dh thing in the 90'S worked threw the sport expert group then even raced semi pro for a while. i had a blast but it got to be an expensive hobbie. all money was wrapped up in traveling expenses. hey i did podium in deer valley years back. my last dh bike was a gt dhi. with a boxer on it. i was really happy with the storm i had before though. now i have a bunch of giant bikes. road. bike xc. and an old free ride bike vt one.. i am due to get a new one one of these days.
welcome to R2R. i think you will like it here.

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow where did you get the nassarius snails at and how much? if you dont mind me asking, iv been looking for somewhere to get a lot of them for a good price

I got them from this guy on ebay:

saltwater-solutions

He is very nice and has great communication. Ships an extra 10-20 percent to cover any DOA, but I had none, so really I got like 600 snails...and I counted. Is that dumb or what?

I have heard that the nassarius onyx snails aren't as good as the vibex, but they seem to bee doing well for me. They also are great algae eaters. I see them mowing down on the glass and rocks as well as the sand. People say their metabolisms get messed up from being in warmer water, since they are used to around 70 degrees, but we'll wait and see. Snails are something that dies, and you replace so why not replace them with cheap snails...at ten cents a piece, you cant go wrong.

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dh biker. i have had many mtn bikes and probably raced for about ten years. i did the dh thing in the 90'S worked threw the sport expert group then even raced semi pro for a while. i had a blast but it got to be an expensive hobbie. all money was wrapped up in traveling expenses. hey i did podium in deer valley years back. my last dh bike was a gt dhi. with a boxer on it. i was really happy with the storm i had before though. now i have a bunch of giant bikes. road. bike xc. and an old free ride bike vt one.. i am due to get a new one one of these days.
welcome to R2R. i think you will like it here.

Thanks for the welcome. I really like the DH/FR, but am not a racer. I am a weekend warrior that likes to go out and hit the stuff that I can do and not have major risk of serious injury. I like going fast, but also in control and I feel that when people race they are often at the brink of control loss. I have a Haro X7 with a 888RC on the front. It works well for what I do, and really handles the beating well.

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i raced for fun but it grew old and too much standing around. i went back to the weekend shuttles and such but a dumb lawsuit closed our local mountian to dh bikes and now only allows travel of 6 inches or less. i always liked the technical riding. threading the needle. i loved night riding too. i did a few 24 hour races teams corporate class. only did night laps.. that was like a video game. way too much fun.

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never really done a night ride. Wanted to, but never could justify a couple hundred bucks on a decent headlight for the front of my bike. Sounds like a silly lawsuit that ruined it for lots of people. You mentioned deer valley, we went riding there quite a bit this year, lots of fun.

Here is a video we made the first time up. Would have done another video later when we got used to the trails and knew where we were going but I sold my helmet cam.

YouTube - Deer Valley in Park City, UT

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them from this guy on ebay:

saltwater-solutions

He is very nice and has great communication. Ships an extra 10-20 percent to cover any DOA, but I had none, so really I got like 600 snails...and I counted. Is that dumb or what?

I have heard that the nassarius onyx snails aren't as good as the vibex, but they seem to bee doing well for me. They also are great algae eaters. I see them mowing down on the glass and rocks as well as the sand. People say their metabolisms get messed up from being in warmer water, since they are used to around 70 degrees, but we'll wait and see. Snails are something that dies, and you replace so why not replace them with cheap snails...at ten cents a piece, you cant go wrong.

Thanks for the info!

dang that is a lot of snails... good point though they die soo easily and that is a great deal!

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Road bike or dirt bike? I used to ride dirtbikes quite a bit growing up, and the gas for the pedal bike is much cheaper.
Both ;)

Raced motocross from eight years old to seventeen, mostly Yamaha 2-Strokes (well before the four stroke motocross craze). Still ride occasionally with the little bro who still races, but my true vice these days is my Yamaha R1.

BTW, I sent the pic of your bucket job to my friend who uses a rubbermaid trough for his sump - I'm going over there this weekend to install buckets :nerd:

snk713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good video, wish they had something like that close to me

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both ;)

Raced motocross from eight years old to seventeen, mostly Yamaha 2-Strokes (well before the four stroke motocross craze). Still ride occasionally with the little bro who still races, but my true vice these days is my Yamaha R1.

BTW, I sent the pic of your bucket job to my friend who uses a rubbermaid trough for his sump - I'm going over there this weekend to install buckets :nerd:

I didn't ever race. Had a yamaha 2 stroke too. A yz490. It was a crazy machine, so, so much power...

You have to take a piece of foam or cardboard and make a stencil for the buckets. The side of those rubbermaid troughs are not strait, so just play with it till you get a pretty good fit. Then use a lot of silicone and let it dry for 3 days, because it will be pretty thick. I siliconed the inside and outside of each bucket, down the sides and the bottom.

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good video, wish they had something like that close to me

I am sorry you dont have something similar. I could never live somewhere like Ohio. I need big mountains to survive. A trip to Whistler, B.C. could probably fix your ich if you wanted to try this type of biking.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow man that looks like WAY too much fun. I used to get out 4-5 times a week before kids. Had an old Giant AC2 and couple Cannondale Jekylls. God I miss it. Now I ride and Electra Ghostrider with Ape Hanger Bars.
Tanks looking real good too!
Do you have plans to remove some of those snails in a week or two?
Just figured they they'll run out of food son, last thing you would want is a bunch crooking out on ya.

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow man that looks like WAY too much fun. I used to get out 4-5 times a week before kids. Had an old Giant AC2 and couple Cannondale Jekylls. God I miss it. Now I ride and Electra Ghostrider with Ape Hanger Bars.
Tanks looking real good too!
Do you have plans to remove some of those snails in a week or two?
Just figured they they'll run out of food son, last thing you would want is a bunch crooking out on ya.

I do plan on removing some if necessary. I will keep an eye on them. I have a 72g bowfront frag tank to put them into, as well as my 100g trough/sump, that has a 6" deep sand bed covering the full area of it. I could use more snails then I have now! I know...I'm crazy.

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I was checking on my sump and macroalgae, when I noticed something floating around in the sump. It was my sixline wrasse that has been gone for a month. I thought it jumped out of the tank and died, but apparently it landed in the overflow and has been hanging out in the sump for quite some time. He was probably happy down there, but he is now back in the display tank again.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 45.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back