Downsizing?

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am curious have any of you downsized your tank before?

I am not sure but I think I may have to. I have a 180 gallon and salt is now $120 a bucket and the economy is terrible after covid etc in Canada.

Do any of you have efficient and decent priced recommendations for a different tank?

What should I do? I'm a bit lost and kind of in a bit of a weird spot because I don't want to give up my tank either.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d sell the tank and use the money to buy a smaller tank. Keep your favorite livestock and look for a smaller used tank on the marketplace on here or other selling platforms if you really want to save money.
The unfortunate thing is that the smaller tank is going to be way more expensive like a reefer or something.

This one was custom made so much much cheaper but quite large.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is running well and where you like it I would keep it. If you just have an itch for something different then go for it. I don't thing the price of salt would dictate tank size for me. If I'm that strapped for cash this would not me my hobby as alomst everything is over priced. That said maybe stretch out your water changes. I have a 180g mixed reef that is doing well and I change 20 - 25 gallons every week maybe 2 (I don't follow a strict schedule) so salt cost are bearable.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the price of salt a deciding factor on downsizing a 180 aquarium? How often are you doing water changes?

IMO. If that is it. Then stop doing a bunch of unnecessary water changes. If you are in mindset that it's needed, then try 1 30 to 40 gallon change every 6 months.

If you have filtration and suppliment upkeep done properly....the water change is not needed.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some macro algae and stop doing water changes. I have 3 tanks that I haven't done water changes in over a year with the addition of refugiums. A 29g. 90g, and 210g. I actually enjoy smaller tanks, so if you could make it worth you wild, there's nothing wrong with that either.

1664113335727.png

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think if you want to down size getting a rimmed tank from a big box store is probably your best bet, just wait for a sale. . . that said you are looking at a huge up front cost compared to the salt price increase.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep your tank. Just learn how to run your tank with less water changes. Is $120 a bucket for instant ocean?
Maybe I'll switch to instant ocean for 70.

So I have algae scrubber and skimmer and I use phos and nitrate blocks to remove the two chemicals I also dose with biofuel. I'm not sure what elae I can do to "clean" the water but the corals seem to just want to die. I've done ICP everything is normal

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the price of salt a deciding factor on downsizing a 180 aquarium? How often are you doing water changes?

IMO. If that is it. Then stop doing a bunch of unnecessary water changes. If you are in mindset that it's needed, then try 1 30 to 40 gallon change every 6 months.

If you have filtration and suppliment upkeep done properly....the water change is not needed.
Sorry I was just using salt as an example. Utility companies in my area are absolutely screwing people and price gouging on food etc etc it's everything combined just to clarify.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some macro algae and stop doing water changes. I have 3 tanks that I haven't done water changes in over a year with the addition of refugiums. A 29g. 90g, and 210g. I actually enjoy smaller tanks, so if you could make it worth you wild, there's nothing wrong with that either.

1664113335727.png
I have an algae scrubber. Do you suggest macro algae on top of that?

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you want to down size getting a rimmed tank from a big box store is probably your best bet, just wait for a sale. . . that said you are looking at a huge up front cost compared to the salt price increase.
That is very true.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first figure out the actual monthly costs of everything. You can see how much electricity your tank is using by picking up a meter from the hardware store or amazon. https://amzn.to/3LOL6t6

Then see if there are ways you can cut back, like suggested above, doing less water changes.

Then figure out how much you'd actually be saving if you downsized. Just because you downsize your tank by half the gallons may not mean you are saving have the cost.

It can be an expensive hobby, but once you are up and running, it doesn't really take much to keep going especially if you are smart/frugal about it.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first figure out the actual monthly costs of everything. You can see how much electricity your tank is using by picking up a meter from the hardware store or amazon. https://amzn.to/3LOL6t6

Then see if there are ways you can cut back, like suggested above, doing less water changes.

Then figure out how much you'd actually be saving if you downsized. Just because you downsize your tank by half the gallons may not mean you are saving have the cost.

It can be an expensive hobby, but once you are up and running, it doesn't really take much to keep going especially if you are smart/frugal about it.
It's not electrical my apex calculates it it's only like 40ish at max. I think it's more just a lot of small things becoming a lot.

That's really true.

So currently I have an algae scrubber and skimmer and does some biofuel etc. Do you have any recommendations for trying to do less water changes

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am curious have any of you downsized your tank before?

I am not sure but I think I may have to. I have a 180 gallon and salt is now $120 a bucket and the economy is terrible after covid etc in Canada.

Do any of you have efficient and decent priced recommendations for a different tank?

What should I do? I'm a bit lost and kind of in a bit of a weird spot because I don't want to give up my tank either.

Thanks.
Yeah, I've downsized before. It was 14 years ago and I went from 55gal down to 20gal to 14gal and eventually 2gal (which was fun but not practical). Then I went right back up to all the tanks I thought I would have liked and kept only those.

My recommendation is to get two separate tanks, say a 55-70gal with another 20gal for a different look. If you get similar designs, you can have similar hardware and software app features. I kept my Max Nano just for this reason with the Reefer 250, same with all the Fluval gear.

I too also second @lion king here, in that any macro algae, when introduced correctly, can be a great game changer in water quality. These really do wonders in overstocked and overfed or predator tanks. As for your other challenges if you keep corals, you might consider a calcium reactor or something to address alkalinity depletion.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not electrical my apex calculates it it's only like 40ish at max. I think it's more just a lot of small things becoming a lot.

That's really true.

So currently I have an algae scrubber and skimmer and does some biofuel etc. Do you have any recommendations for trying to do less water changes
How much, how often, and why are you doing water changes?
First step would be to just do less! Cut it in half. See how it goes.

My plan on my new tank is NO water changes. I'll be using the ReefMoonShiners system to replace all minor elements that we try to replenish with water changes.

Besides salt and electrical, what other monthly costs do you think you have? Food? Water (RO/DI)? What are you using for keeping Ca/Alk/Mag levels up? Anything else ongoing/pretty regular?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an algae scrubber. Do you suggest macro algae on top of that?

If your scrubber is working as designed you should be getting the same benefits as an effective refugium. Have you done nitrate and phosphate testing, and has your display stayed reasonably algae free, A macro algae refugium or algae scrubber when properly sized and heathy will remove excess nitrate and phosphates, as well as provide a healthy gaseous exchange. In some cases, for some hobbyist, this completely negates the need for water changes; some find this at least cuts down dramatically on water changes. In a reef you will need to maintain required elements, so testing and dosing. I maintain reef level ca and mg in my predator fowlrs, but these element are minimally used in a fowlr.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was just using salt as an example. Utility companies in my area are absolutely screwing people and price gouging on food etc etc it's everything combined just to clarify.
Oh ok. So its basically everything that entales a fish tan. It can be encumber some sometimes. Few questions

1. How old is your aquarium
2. Is this FOWLR or Mixed Reef, Softy, SPS tank etc?
3. Post all your equipment. (Lights, pumps, skimmer, Controllers, etc)
4. How many fish you have. Name them.
5. Post FTS of the aquarium

The reason I'm asking all these things is because, all of this comes into play when downsizing. If its established reef, it will be much easier and cheaper to maintain than to down size in some cases. As water changes is basically when needed...maybe once a year. If you have energy efficient dc pumps and LED lighting etc. The electric difference may not be that much. d2mini was all over that and gave an excellent reply.

If its a new reef. then maybe a downsize can be worth the while as the tank is not established. New tanks are more expensive. You really need to do all those water changes and extra maintenance to get it running. Its like a new puppy. They take allot love and care and hands on in the beginning. But from the sounds of it you have already endured all that.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back