Dr Tim’s Cycle

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All -
On Day 3 of a Dr T cycle. Still reading ammonia after initial dose. I’m assuming I don’t need to dose anymore and just wait ?

D54E962A-5E2F-4B64-AB4D-EA0CD8C718EC.jpeg

Crossfire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are in a perfect spot! Don't dose anything or do any water changes. Ammonia level is exactly where it should be for the cycle. Now the hardest part is leaving it alone for the next 4-5 weeks.

Here's what you'll see. That ammonia will eventually drop to 0 in a few days to a week or so. Then the nitrites will go up to 5.0 plus for a long long time. You'll never think they are going to drop to zero but basically overnight in about 4 weeks they will. Then do your water change after nitrites are 0. Nitrates will be high, usually 50+ and the water change will drop them.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are in a perfect spot! Don't dose anything or do any water changes. Ammonia level is exactly where it should be for the cycle. Now the hardest part is leaving it alone for the next 4-5 weeks.

Here's what you'll see. That ammonia will eventually drop to 0 in a few days to a week or so. Then the nitrites will go up to 5.0 plus for a long long time. You'll never think they are going to drop to zero but basically overnight in about 4 weeks they will. Then do your water change after nitrites are 0. Nitrates will be high, usually 50+ and the water change will drop them.
a tank being cycled by ghost feeding normally takes 4-6 weeks. honestly, I'd be fairly disappointed if I spent money on Dr. Tim's and had to wait the same amount of time. Follow your test kits but in general 2 weeks is often enough to make it safe for fish when using bottled bacteria.

Crossfire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may get ammonia to drop within 48 hours. I don't care what any bottle claims because bacteria colonizing rock, sand, and filter media takes a long time. No way to rush that no matter what you test kits say. A tank is always cycling but over time the bacteria can process the ammonia and nitrite at lot faster. It probably takes 6 months to a year with live stock for a tank to mature to a good level of bacteria colonies.

I used Dr. Tim's too and it worked, but took 4 weeks. Probably would've been the same with ghost feeding. Although I may have added a bit too much ammonia, stalling it.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use Dr. Tims One and Only or just the Ammonium Chloride? If just the Ammonium Chloride, the cycle could take quite a while to complete (4-6 weeks). If you also used One and Only, I would expect that to be halved. You still want to allow ample time for the bacteria to get a good foothold in your system. DO NOT rush the cycle, waiting for the cycle to complete is awful, but stocking the tank before it is properly cycled is far worse.

Strange cause I’ve used it on 3 tanks and was fine within 48 hours

This has NEVER been my experience. My last cycle took almost 6 weeks even with about $200 worth of One and Only (though that was a freshwater discus tank with a very low pH). My 40b mixed reef took almost a month to fully cycle.

Crossfire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use Dr. Tims One and Only or just the Ammonium Chloride? If just the Ammonium Chloride, the cycle could take quite a while to complete (4-6 weeks). If you also used One and Only, I would expect that to be halved. You still want to allow ample time for the bacteria to get a good foothold in your system. DO NOT rush the cycle, waiting for the cycle to complete is awful, but stocking the tank before it is properly cycled is far worse.

This has NEVER been my experience. My last cycle took almost 6 weeks even with about $200 worth of One and Only (though that was a freshwater discus tank with a very low pH). My 40b mixed reef took almost a month to fully cycle.

I could not agree more! 4-6 weeks for every tank I've cycled too with Dr. Tims, microbac 7, or seachem stability. Although they claim it takes a few days, it never does.

PGriff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All -
On Day 3 of a Dr T cycle. Still reading ammonia after initial dose. I’m assuming I don’t need to dose anymore and just wait ?

Jut did this in March. You're right where you want to be. The hardest part is just doing nothing from this point on. It's going to take at least 2 weeks. I understand the desire to skip to the next part but trust me, let the tank do its thing.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone has their individual experience whether its 6 days or 6 weeks. the cycle just about getting a zero reading back when you test your nitrites.

OP
OP
Rollman

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys -
Thanks ! I’m in no rush at all was just curious of others experience and avoid overdosing lol I was planning on 6 weeks. And yes I also used a bottle of Dr T one and only

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys -
Thanks ! I’m in no rush at all was just curious of others experience and avoid overdosing lol I was planning on 6 weeks. And yes I also used a bottle of Dr T one and only

Dr Tim's has a fishless cycling process on his website that tells you when to add additional ammonia. Also, did you use the entire bottle of One and Only. If not, I would consider adding the rest. The product works best when the whole bottle is used because the bacteria tends to settle to the bottom of the bottle and is hard to get it suspended in the fluid.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a voice in the chorus, but also used Dr. Tim. I may have ghost fed (raw shrimp) too heavily, but it was 4 weeks to the day before cycle finished and was still a shaky start.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanna make sense of your cycle it w take about 2 seconds with a tank pic. no testing required :)

post a tank pic so we can see details.
what we need to know is how long has the system had water + dr tims in any combo in it...sept 4th before that time?

Duration underwater/number of days is the final call regarding your cycle, what the tank tests in the interim doesn't matter one iota. You are basing your cycle completion not on # of days underwater from a known timeframe, but a single point test, and our testers are nearly always wrong. pics and # of days underwater/need to know

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All -

Hi All -

yes. You are good shape. Just stick to Dr. Tim’s directions. It worked great for me.
Did you seed your tank as well?
I just finished cycling my tank 2 weeks ago with Dr Tim’s. It only took me a little over 2 weeks to cycle after seeding tank.
I almost dosed more but read more about this process and if my nitrites go to the roof it will stall the cycle .

AnemoneBay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I suggest a cycled NO3 plate. I literally do 2 water-changes a year from it:

OP
OP
Rollman

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanna make sense of your cycle it w take about 2 seconds with a tank pic. no testing required :)

post a tank pic so we can see details.
what we need to know is how long has the system had water + dr tims in any combo in it...sept 4th before that time?

Duration underwater/number of days is the final call regarding your cycle, what the tank tests in the interim doesn't matter one iota. You are basing your cycle completion not on # of days underwater from a known timeframe, but a single point test, and our testers are nearly always wrong. pics and # of days underwater/need to know

A91AB130-484E-4ECC-96E8-1503024E85A4.jpeg

Tank had water in display for about a week prior to cycle due to plumbing issues. Dr T Cycle began on 9/1

Thanks

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat - waiting...today is day 31 since I added Dr Tim’s. The ammonia spiked and then went after day 10, nitrite still off the charts.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing the test you pictured in the first post and this last test, things seem to be progressing, just slowly. If you want to try something different, dose half of the ammonia and add Fritz Turbo 9000, the refrigerated stuff. Your other option is just wait. Your tank will cycle in 30-45 days if you do nothing else.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back