Dr. Tims fishless cycle not going well

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up Reef2reef,

Happy to be back in the hobby after a few years break. I decided to try Dr.tims fishless cycle with Dr.tims ammonia and one and only bacteria, but I am unable to finish the cycle.

I am currently on day 18 into the fishless cycle and i cant seem to get my ammonia and nitrite to drop to zero within 24 hours to finish the cycle. It zeroes out in roughly 30-48 hours. I dose ammonia only when it drops to 0.25-zero ppm of ammonia and nitrite. Do i keep dosing ammonia when the ammonia and nitrite drop to 0.25-zero ppm, until it is consumed in 24 hours?

Thanks in advance,

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing? Nitrite is really irrelevant. Do you show nitrate numbers?
I am testing using API test kit. Yes nitrates are around 40ppm.

When i first started the cycle it took around 6 days to reach zero ammonia and nitrites. I then dosed ammonia again, then it took 4 days to reach zero. Dosed a 3rd time, took 2 days to reach zero. Dosed a 4th and 5th time and both the last to doses of ammonia its taking roughly 30 hours to reach zero ammonia and nitrites. From my understanding the cycle is complete once ammonia and nitrites reach zero within 24 hours, but for some reason its having a hard time doing so.

FIY, i only dose ammonia when ammonia and nitrite are both 0.25ppm or lower.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am testing using API test kit. Yes nitrates are around 40ppm.

When i first started the cycle it took around 6 days to reach zero ammonia and nitrites. I then dosed ammonia again, then it took 4 days to reach zero. Dosed a 3rd time, took 2 days to reach zero. Dosed a 4th and 5th time and both the last to doses of ammonia its taking roughly 30 hours to reach zero ammonia and nitrites. From my understanding the cycle is complete once ammonia and nitrites reach zero within 24 hours, but for some reason its having a hard time doing so.

FIY, i only dose ammonia when ammonia and nitrite are both 0.25ppm or lower.
Quit dosing and put some fish in it. They will be fine.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking of doing. Maybe the 30 hours for zero is close enough. I just want to make sure i have a robust foundation of bacteria.
Your test kits have an error ratio of .25 on ammonia so you are probably at basically 0. All tanks can have a minute amount of ammonia when tested because it is being processed into nitrates. Put a fish in.

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your test kits have an error ratio of .25 on ammonia so you are probably at basically 0. All tanks can have a minute amount of ammonia when tested because it is being processed into nitrates. Put a fish in.
What about the other tests? Do they have a similar error ratio?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its not an error range. Its a perception issue caused by precipitation insides the test when being performed in salt water. API is best described as yellow ammonia test results + 0 nitrite as good, green ammonia test results +nitrite = bad. I wish people would read this link below. Using ammonia test kits hundreds of times IN PERSON has demonstrated that the test isn't reliable, but that human vision errors on the "maybe ammonia" side, due to inexperience with the test. "Maybe ammonia" means no ammonia. If no one tells a person this, they won't know.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not an error range. Its a perception issue caused by precipitation insides the test when being performed in salt water. API is best described as yellow ammonia test results + 0 nitrite as good, green ammonia test results +nitrite = bad.

There is no way any of these tests are precise and consistent when you look at how we prep the samples for testing. We not using lab certified procedures and protocols obviously. Results should be used as a general guide with consideration given that the true and correct result number may be slightly higher or lower.

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how my cycle has been going....

Tank Cycle Log
----------------------
55 Gallon Breeder
I am using a RODI system, 45 lbs of dry rock & 40 lbs of sand

*Temp 78.4-79.2 on all days
**No water changes just top offs
***Water volume in tank 45-48 gallons
(4/26/22)
DAY 1: Added whole bottle of Dr. Tims "One & Only" Bacteria & 2 Teaspoons (200 Drops) of Ammonia
DAY 2: pH 7.8, Ammonia 1.0, Nitrite 0-0.25, Nitrate 0
DAY 3: pH 7.8, Ammonia 2.0, Nitrite 0-0.25, Nitrate 0 (Added 2 teaspoons Ammonia)
DAY 4: pH 7.8, Ammonia 2.0, Nitrite 1.0, Nitrate 20
DAY 5: pH 7.8, Ammonia 1.0, Nitrite 2.0, Nitrate 20
DAY 6: pH 7.8, Ammonia 1.0, Nitrite 2.0, Nitrate 20 (Added 2 teaspoons Ammonia)
DAY 7: pH 7.8, Ammonia 1.0, Nitrite 5.0, Nitrate 80
DAY 8: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0.5, Nitrite 5.0, Nitrate 80
DAY 9: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 2.0, Nitrate 40
DAY 10: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.5-1.0, Nitrate 40
DAY 11: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.25-0.5, Nitrate 40
DAY 12: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0-0.25, Nitrite 0-0.25, Nitrate 20 (Added 2 teaspoons Ammonia) <----- Was thinking I might be done with the cycle if water read 0 Ammonia & Nitrites in 24 hours (Could I have added 2 clowns instead of Ammonia?)
DAY 13: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0.5, Nitrite 1.0-2.0, Nitrate 40 (Installed Canister Filter & Added about 3 gal of water)
DAY 14: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 1.0, Nitrate 40 (Noticed brown spots on sand & a few rocks)
(Noticed I was not performing the API tests correctly)
DAY 15: pH 8.0, Ammonia 0-0.25, Nitrite 0.5, Nitrate 40
DAY 16: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 40 (Added 2 teaspoons Ammonia, Changed rocks around, Stirred sand) *Helped with bubble issue*
Day 17: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 0.5-1.0, Nitrate 40 (Added more Dr. Tims "One & Only")
Out of town Day 18-20
Day 21: pH 8.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 48-80 (Added 2 teaspoons Ammonia)
Day 22: pH 8.0, Ammonia 0.25, 1.0 Nitrite , Nitrate 40-80
Day 23: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.25, Nitrate 40-80 (5:11pm)
Day 23: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 40-80 (10:26pm) (Added 2 teaspoons Ammonia)
Day 24: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.50, Nitrate 40-80 **Ammonia went to 0 in 24 hours after a dose**
Day 25: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 80 (Added 2 teaspoons Ammonia)
Day 26: pH 7.8, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 0.50, Nitrate 80

Ettercap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently on day 18 into the fishless cycle and i cant seem to get my ammonia and nitrite to drop to zero within 24 hours to finish the cycle. It zeroes out in roughly 30-48 hours. I dose ammonia only when it drops to 0.25-zero ppm of ammonia and nitrite. Do i keep dosing ammonia when the ammonia and nitrite drop to 0.25-zero ppm, until it is consumed in 24 hours?

I just finished a Dr Tims cycle with a 36g tank. Using this as a reference: Quick guide to fishless cycling During my cycle I took .5ppm Ammonia to mean 0 due to the standard API misread situation. So, if it didnt have a strong green and was that washed out yellow-ish green... then I counted that as 0ppm.

Pre-day 1: I used Dr Tims first defense.
Day 1: I measured my Salinity at 27ppm so I took about 2 gallons of SW out and replaced with RODI to get a salinity in the 22ppm range. Goal is 20ppm to help the bacteria grow faster. Also, I raised my temp to 85f/29c. I put my required drops in... 4 drops per gallon but take away 20% due to sand/rock displacement. I waited for 4 hours and then I measure 2+ ppm. (getting darker green but definitely not 4ppm NH3.)
Day 2: Saw Ammonia/NH3 around 2ppm and Nitrite/NO2 as bright purple. I couldnt figure out if if was 2ppm or 5+ppm.
Day 3: NH3 was showing .5ppm but I think it was showing the typical ammonia misreading but Nitrite was sitll 1-2ppm. Added 4 drops per gallon x 20%
Day 4-5: Measured again and NH3 was looking .5ppm-ish and NO2 was .5ppm on day 5.
Day 6: Put in the ammonium chloride/NH$Cl dosing amount again
Day 7-8: NH3 was still .5ppm but NO2 was blue so thats 0ppm. I even checked Nitrate/NO3 and I was seeing 80+ or 160+ so I wasnt sure. I ended up changing 10% water to remove some NO3.
Day 9: I added the NH4Cl to dosage and the next morning NH3 registered the .5 and NO2 was showing blue. NO3 was showing a darker red so I changed 75% of my water without touching the substrate.

The only difference from what I did compared to you was not wait for 30-48 hours... I did it on the specific day no matter what but I was using NH3 as a reference marker. Something similar happened to me on a fw tank and I over-dosed the NH4Cl to 5ppm+ in which can seriously stall out your cycle so I "respectfully" first assume that may have happened?

Did you have sand and rocks in? If you want to read more about the misreading... google up "api test kit ammonia misread" and you will see a lot of articles about it. I did eventually go to the Salifert test in the end but I think its expensive for just accepting the fact that NH3 will read .5.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back