Dr. Tims fishless cycle

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8 of Dr. Tims fishless cycle, Ammonia and Nitrite are both below 1ppm. Should I dose ammonia again or let it go?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take it. I know dr tims says to doze ammonia but that just doesn't make sense. Like that can't possibly speed the process up.

Usually if the whole bottle is dosed, you are good to go. I just like adding ammonia to make sure the bottle is not a dud.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8 of Dr. Tims fishless cycle, Ammonia and Nitrite are both below 1ppm. Should I dose ammonia again or let it go?
I'll take it. I know dr tims says to doze ammonia but that just doesn't make sense. Like that can't possibly speed the process up.
I would not add a fish. Dosing extra ammonia helps wake up bacteria and the more food you provide them, the stronger and more there will be when you actually add fish. So don’t add a fish yet. If you have been following the instructions online, keep doing so. If not re dose ammonia. DO NOT do a water change as there is no need for one and that would just stall the cycle.

You will learn to be patient in this hobby, nothing rushed will have good end results

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add a fish. Dosing extra ammonia helps wake up bacteria and the more food you provide them, the stronger and more there will be when you actually add fish. So don’t add a fish yet. If you have been following the instructions online, keep doing so. If not re dose ammonia. DO NOT do a water change as there is no need for one and that would just stall the cycle.

You will learn to be patient in this hobby, nothing rushed will have good end results

A water change will not stall a cycle. These bottles are able to handle a fish as long as its not a ton of fish in a tiny tank right away.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always double check to make sure your tank is cycled by dosing 2ppm of ammonia after it bottoms out. If your tank is cycled then the ammonia should be processed within a day or 2

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A water change will not stall a cycle. These bottles are able to handle a fish as long as it’s not a ton of fish in a tiny tank right away.
Yes, I agree they can handle a fish immediately however there’s really no point in stressing out a fish. OP likely doesn’t want to stress one since they went fishless instead of fish in

and I believe water changing would stall since you remove ammonia that should be processed by bacteria. Let the ammonia bottom out over time, there’s no need to rush

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I agree they can handle a fish immediately however there’s really no point in stressing out a fish. OP likely doesn’t want to stress one since they went fishless instead of fish in

and I believe water changing would stall since you remove ammonia that should be processed by bacteria. Let the ammonia bottom out over time, there’s no need to rush

My point was it won't stress out a fish if you get the right size bottle and just one fish or so, especially in anything but the smallest tanks. I do agree with you it is best not to rush :)

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point was it won't stress out a fish if you get the right size bottle and just one fish or so, especially in anything but the smallest tanks. I do agree with you it is best not to rush :)
Yeah, we all have different methods. None are wrong, but as long as EVERYBODY is patient then danger is minimized

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back