Dr. Tim's tips for speeding up fishless cycles

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this youtube video of a talk Dr. Tim gave last year specifically on nitrifying bacteria and how to speed up your cycle by setting up your tank to ideal conditions for the nitrifying bacteria you are trying to jumpstart. I'm adding it here for anyone else who is just starting and looking for cycle specific tips and information.

Found it really useful and wish I had seen it before starting my cycle. I am still at the beginning of my cycle so I have applied the tips of his that I could easily do, but wish I could have set up my salinity as suggested prior (too late for that).

What he is suggesting is to set up your tank parameters to ideal conditions for these bacteria to reach the optimum life cycle of those bacteria. The ammonia oxidizing bacteria can double their population every 30+ hrs at peak life cycle, while the nitrite oxidizers take 40+ hrs to double their population. Setting up your tank for ideal fish and coral conditions when you are not populating with these in fact slows this already slow process down because it hinders the bacterial growth. So since you are doing a fishless cycle anyways, just set the tank up for the bacteria and once cycled, slowly adjust the parameters over a couple days to the target fish/coral parameters.

1.) Reduce the salinity of your water for the cycle... ideally 18-20 ppt. This is because these bacteria commonly found in your reef tank are at the limit of their salinity tolerance at 35 ppt (their salinity tolerance is approx 8-40 ppt), and lowering the salinity causes them to grow faster as they are using less energy to survive at the fringe of their salinity tolerance. Being in the midle of the salinity range means they grow faster using less energy to survive. (unfortunately I had already set up my tank water at 35 ppt so this is the one step I could not alter after coming across this information).

2.) Keep both ammonia and nitrite below 5mg/L. Don't overdose ammonia because the nitrite oxidizing bacteria are stunted from high ammonia content, and vice versa the ammonia oxidizing bacteria are stunted by high nitrite content, so overdosing ammonia prevents the second stage of the cycle which is oxidizing nitrites, causing your nitrite to nitrate conversion to stall, and eventually the ammonia oxidizing bacteria also become stunted from the increased nitrites as a result of that log jammed second stage which sets you back on the first stage. So just dose the minimum required ammonia and wait for it to be fully processed through till nitrites rise and fall (skipping ammonia doses if either are still present), then dose the minimum again. This prevents one from getting too high and stalling the other.

3.) Provide external surface area. If you are planning on bare bottom, add a temporary media like bio balls, glass beads, or a small amount of sand to the tank during the cycle which you can remove once the bacteria are well established. The bacteria need surfaces they can easily attach to in order to take hold and grow. glass bottom is not "sticky" enough for them to easily take hold and start to grow.

4.) Don't promote competitors during the cycle.
-Turn off lights until the cycle is complete. Nitrifying bacteria are slower growing (30-40+ hrs to double population) than carbon based bacteria and algae which have much faster life cycles, doubling at much less time. The nitrifying bacteria are competing against carbon based bacteria for surface area and nutrients (phosphates) to grow, so turning off the lights prevents algae from overtaking the bacteria.
-Don't use GFO or denitrifying systems because they remove phosphates which these bacteria need to grow.
-Don't dose organic carbon like vodka and sugars because that feeds the carbon based bacteria and algae instead of the nitrifying bacteria.

5.) Raise the temperature to 84-85F during the cycle. The bacteria grow faster in warmer water. Once cycle is done slowly lower to desired temp (as well as raising your salinity).

Additional tips:

- need calcium substrate during cycle (see tip 3)

- measure the ammonia before adding ammonia first time if you are using live sand because live sand has bacteria and nutrients in it that will break down when exposed to fresh oxygen in your water, causing the breakdown of nutrients into ammonia. You may already have enough ammonia in your tank from the live sand.

- do not dose more than 4 ppm ammonia (see tip 2)

- do not dose every day (see tip 2)

- using test kits don't read them as 0.5 ppm, etc. just read them as present/not present. Wait till ammonia and nitrite are no longer present before adding more.

Last edited:

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this. My cycle is going extremely slow and I watched a couple of his videos today. I am going to turn up the heat tonight to speed it up.
You gonna get a build thread up andrewy? Be great to see what your doing considering the wealth of knowledge you have

andrewy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gonna get a build thread up andrewy? Be great to see what your doing considering the wealth of knowledge you have
I am in a very weird situation. Long story, bought a 2 gallon tank for goldfish my son won at fair. Read it was too small so after 2 years in it, I bought him a 26 gallon tank. Added my sink water and fish was not doing well, discovered it was due to ammonia. He did not make and that was bad.

as it stands today, I am trying to get the tank cycled and my big plan once it is cycled is to give it away. Lol

after the goldfish died, I lost my interest. The sub has got me wanting a salt tank. I want a bio cube and hoping it is low maintenance. If I go that route, I will post a build. Saw some incredible tanks on this site.

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in a very weird situation. Long story, bought a 2 gallon tank for goldfish my son won at fair. Read it was too small so after 2 years in it, I bought him a 26 gallon tank. Added my sink water and fish was not doing well, discovered it was due to ammonia. He did not make and that was bad.

as it stands today, I am trying to get the tank cycled and my big plan once it is cycled is to give it away. Lol

after the goldfish died, I lost my interest. The sub has got me wanting a salt tank. I want a bio cube and hoping it is low maintenance. If I go that route, I will post a build. Saw some incredible tanks on this site.
Nice one mate, hope u start one, although wont be me doing the maintenance

OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.) Keep both ammonia and nitrite below 5mg/L. Don't overdose ammonia because the nitrite oxidizing bacteria are stunted from high ammonia content, and vice versa the ammonia oxidizing bacteria are stunted by high nitrite content, so overdosing ammonia prevents the second stage of the cycle which is oxidizing nitrites, causing your nitrate to nitrite conversion to stall, and eventually the ammonia oxidizing bacteria also become stunted from the increased nitrites as a result of that log jammed second stage breaking open and dumping all the conversion to nitrite at once instead of spread out, which sets you back on the first stage.

Just realized I typed this order of chemical conversions wrong Replying here to clear that up and prevent confusion. I also updated the original post to correct process.

The process is Ammonia converted to nitrite then converted to nitrate. I wrote Ammonia > Nitrate > Nitrite initially.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And @Bulk Reef Supply #BRSTV with the follow up to this thread, although I'd like to mention that these conditions that speed up the fishless cycle are brand independent because as Dr. Tim showed in his presentation, the species of bacteria that are present in the standard reef aquarium range of conditions is limited to approx. 3 species and those tips are for those species of bacteria. This means all bottled bac are providing some combination of the same bacteria which all thrive in these ideal conditions that speed up your fishless cycle.

Great video for beginners searching for tips, who won't give a more technical video a chance!

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing this video! I watched it before starting my first reef tank.

Does anyone know when to raise the salinity back up? On day 9 of cycling I can add a fish. I’m guessing raise the salinity on day 9 before adding fish?

neyes_ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing this video! I watched it before starting my first reef tank.

Does anyone know when to raise the salinity back up? On day 9 of cycling I can add a fish. I’m guessing raise the salinity on day 9 before adding fish?
mix a higher salinity water when doing a water change. never add salt directly

FRAME352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, new to the forum and currently setting up my first saltwater tank. I'm currently getting ready to start the Dr. Tim's fishless cycle method and have some questions on the sump media type I should begin with to help provide the surface area to contain the positive bacteria I'll be adding during the cycle. Any recommendations on what media, and when and how to add it would be appreciated!

Tank volume is 180 gallons. Getting ready to add Caribsea special grade sand for substrate and will eventually plan on adding 150-200 pounds of live rock once properly cycled. I've purchased Seachem Pond Matrix, and MarinePure Cermedia 1.5" spheres. In the subject video Dr. Tim mentioned using crushed coral to contain the bacteria? Any recommendations on this method and how to implement? Or will the pond matrix and the MarinePure do the same thing? Should I add the Marinepure balls or keep them out until cycled?

I also have a Biopellet reactor and will not run GFO or Carbon until the tank is established, but should I consider running the biopellets during the cycle process? Like I said...first time setting up a saltwater aquarium so any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm not in a big rush, but ideally wanted to be cycled to support and immediately add the live rock in two segments a few weeks apart. Ideally, I would like to add 100 pounds at a time and was trying to prevent as much die off as possible to the rock. Thanks!!

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, new to the forum and currently setting up my first saltwater tank. I'm currently getting ready to start the Dr. Tim's fishless cycle method and have some questions on the sump media type I should begin with to help provide the surface area to contain the positive bacteria I'll be adding during the cycle. Any recommendations on what media, and when and how to add it would be appreciated!

Tank volume is 180 gallons. Getting ready to add Caribsea special grade sand for substrate and will eventually plan on adding 150-200 pounds of live rock once properly cycled. I've purchased Seachem Pond Matrix, and MarinePure Cermedia 1.5" spheres. In the subject video Dr. Tim mentioned using crushed coral to contain the bacteria? Any recommendations on this method and how to implement? Or will the pond matrix and the MarinePure do the same thing? Should I add the Marinepure balls or keep them out until cycled?

I also have a Biopellet reactor and will not run GFO or Carbon until the tank is established, but should I consider running the biopellets during the cycle process? Like I said...first time setting up a saltwater aquarium so any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm not in a big rush, but ideally wanted to be cycled to support and immediately add the live rock in two segments a few weeks apart. Ideally, I would like to add 100 pounds at a time and was trying to prevent as much die off as possible to the rock. Thanks!!
You can use the live rock to cycle your tank. Add all your rock and marine pure before adding in the bacteria. Bacteria live on rocks.
If you’re doing real live rock I would add that and turbo start. Add 2 clowns to get it going.

FRAME352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the live rock to cycle your tank. Add all your rock and marine pure before adding in the bacteria. Bacteria live on rocks.
If you’re doing real live rock I would add that and turbo start. Add 2 clowns to get it going.
Thanks for the reply! The problem is I am using real live rock, and it was suggested that the tank be completely cycled before adding it to try to minimize the die off of all the bonus things that come with it. I was planning on buying the cherry primo from Live Rock N Reef. I spoke with them and they mentioned to have the tank cycled and then immediately add the rock once the shipment arrives.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! The problem is I am using real live rock, and it was suggested that the tank be completely cycled before adding it to try to minimize the die off of all the bonus things that come with it. I was planning on buying the cherry primo from Live Rock N Reef. I spoke with them and they mentioned to have the tank cycled and then immediately add the rock once the shipment arrives.

Gotcha. So that does make sense, but there are a few things to consider.
1. It should not be expected that the initial amount of biomedia can handle the concentration of ammonia that the entire system can handle, given that the eventual live rock makes up a portion of all the biomedia once everything is set up. So you may just need to ensure your aquarium can handle a lower concentration of ammonia than 2ppm during your cycle.
2. A lot of people do not exactly care what may or may not survive from their live rock, so they will still add 2ppm ammonia after the addition of live rock to test the cycle. You can't really do that if you want to keep as much life alive as possible.

FRAME352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. So that does make sense, but there are a few things to consider.
1. It should not be expected that the initial amount of biomedia can handle the concentration of ammonia that the entire system can handle, given that the eventual live rock makes up a portion of all the biomedia once everything is set up. So you may just need to ensure your aquarium can handle a lower concentration of ammonia than 2ppm during your cycle.
2. A lot of people do not exactly care what may or may not survive from their live rock, so they will still add 2ppm ammonia after the addition of live rock to test the cycle. You can't really do that if you want to keep as much life alive as possible.
Thank you!! I do plan on adding the live rock in a couple of different sessions, instead of immediately all at once. Right now planning on placing a couple orders a few weeks apart to gauge how things are going.

Will adding the pond matrix, marinepure, and the sand substrate be enough biomedia to help harvest the bacteria, or is there other types of biomedia I should consider adding like crushed coral? When should I consider running the bio-pellets? Thanks again, really appreciate everyones input!

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I do plan on adding the live rock in a couple of different sessions, instead of immediately all at once. Right now planning on placing a couple orders a few weeks apart to gauge how things are going.

Will adding the pond matrix, marinepure, and the sand substrate be enough biomedia to help harvest the bacteria, or is there other types of biomedia I should consider adding like crushed coral? When should I consider running the bio-pellets? Thanks again, really appreciate everyones input!
When you say 'harvest the bacteria', what do you mean by that?

masja205

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!! Thank you for summarising the tips :) I am day three into my cycle doing fishless cycle using ammonia chloride from dr Tim’s and aquaforest BIO-s nitrifying bacteria.
Currently:
Ammonia levels at 5mg/L
Nitrites 0.025ppm
pH at 8.0

Was keen to drop the salinity through a water change with RO water. Before doing so I was keen to check what people think, is it too late to change the salinity?

Attachments

• IMG_8132.png
    IMG_8132.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 3

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back