Dragon stone in reef

Grapefruit509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use a Fw dragon stone in their reef? I have one left over from my fw tanks and I want to put it in a spot surrounded by macros.
The rest of the scape will be dry rock 55 gal

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragon stone is normally sedimentary but can be igneous the sedimentary version will leach clay and organics and break down over time in saltwater. The igneous form could leach heavy metals but would be pretty stable physically and not fall apart.

OP
OP
Grapefruit509

Grapefruit509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clay = bad? How would just this single rock do in a regular aquascaped reef in terms of leeching

Attachments

• 20220213_200859.jpg
    20220213_200859.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220213_200840.jpg
    20220213_200840.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 99

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clay = bad? How would just this single rock do in a regular aquascaped reef in terms of leeching
I believe it will foul your water although I would love to be proven wrong on this. My suggestion put it in some saltwater in a bucket with some aggressive flow blasting it and see if it holds up like that at the very least it would get rid of alot of the organics if you decided to use it. Although imho it will crumble apart eventually and may stain your water with tannins/iron. Not to mention whatever heavy metals are found in the clay in that region. The clay in my area has copper iron lead cadmium and tace amounts of uranium (and a ton of other minerals and organics). Ive tried clay hydro media with saltwater and over a month my grow bed turned to mud.

OP
OP
Grapefruit509

Grapefruit509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my question is, why use it? With options available that you know are safe for sure, why gamble on something like this?
Looks nice and I have an extra one, would be cool to surround with algae as a center piece

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a half macro algae dominant/ half coral scape, which is why I wasthinking this some would look very nice in a small cove surrounded by algae and then regular dry rock, give it a nice greener section on one side
I understand the motivation, but my vote is to go to your LFS and pick through the bin of rocks for reefs and find a special one for your centerpiece instead.

OP
OP
Grapefruit509

Grapefruit509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the motivation, but my vote is to go to your LFS and pick through the bin of rocks for reefs and find a special one for your centerpiece instead.
I feel u, not really looking for a centerpiece per say, just this one has a nice look that I could be made into a centerpiece. I've got maybe 10lb left over life rock rn, gotta order another 30 pounds or so, I'll leave the ohko stone out unless I hear something safe about them

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be better off using dry rock IMO for this. Or if not at least lava rock instead.
How about using slate rock instead? It would give a similar look that you're after without risk it falling apart and leaching anything.
Anyone use a Fw dragon stone in their reef? I have one left over from my fw tanks and I want to put it in a spot surrounded by macros.
The rest of the scape will be dry rock 55 gal
From one of my posts on another thread:
"I have maintained a coldwater marine tank with some freshwater rock in the past (ex. lava, slate, dragon), though leaching from the rocks (and other freshwater substrate) likely caused the never ending diatom bloom in said system :(."
Personally, I would avoid freshwater rocks in most marine systems, just to be safe.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back