Dragons tongue in display

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started a new tank and currently cycling. Rather than dumping the water with all those nitrates in it, could I instead add some macro to the DT and get it started growing? Would this avoid any ugly stages if the Macro is consuming all the nutrients instead of the nuisance algae?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling you would promote both the macroalgae and ugly algae. If you don't want to do a water change, consider adding some more bacterial diversity like pns probio which I think will lower it.

Also I am a firm believer that phosphate is more of the limiting element of algae since we always seem to have enough nitrate for them but phosphate we can control easier.

OP
OP
shim

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issues with the water change, was just wondering if it'd give the macro a head start boost. I don't plan on adding any fish for another 4 weeks, planning around previously planned trip, so would then have to wait to add the macro to the tank as there isn't anything to feed it.

thanks for the advice.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add macro algae right after the cycle and completely skip the uglies. I'm not sure just some dragons tongue in the display will do it though. I've added algae reactors and refugiums and it's done the trick.

OP
OP
shim

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add macro algae right after the cycle and completely skip the uglies. I'm not sure just some dragons tongue in the display will do it though. I've added algae reactors and refugiums and it's done the trick.

I have the whole center section of the Waterbox Peninsula Mini open right now except for the heating element as I replaced the socks with the the Intank Media Basket. I could turn that into a small refugium if needed. Heating element just moves to third chamber then with the return pump?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the whole center section of the Waterbox Peninsula Mini open right now except for the heating element as I replaced the socks with the the Intank Media Basket. I could turn that into a small refugium if needed. Heating element just moves to third chamber then with the return pump?

Dragons tongue is more ornemental that really effeicient in nutrient reduction. Many people choose chaeto for this job while I prefer caulerpa and gracalaria. Chaeto isn't really a display algae and would work well in the basket, while many forms of caulerpa and gracalaria do look nice in a display.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back