Drain is so loud! Help?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, there is no chance I would put a valve on my single drain line.
It’s a good habit not to. Still I don’t advise against it because there are ways to add redundancy. Strainers on the inlet and routine maintenance on your plumbing lines. I take apart all my plumbing once a year to scrub out the inner walls. If not they get really dirty and slow down the flow rate. when I take it apart I see a mix of things like calcification, bristle worms, sponges, mulm etc. closing the diameter of my pvc.

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with a DC pump so that you can adjust the flow you won't need the ball valve. Also, there is no chance I would put a valve on my single drain line.
Going with the jebao dcs-1200. Hoping that changing the drain or adding anything to it won't be necessary.

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good habit not to. Still I don’t advise against it because there are ways to add redundancy. Strainers on the inlet and routine maintenance on your plumbing lines. I take apart all my plumbing once a year to scrub out the inner walls. If not they get really dirty and slow down the flow rate. when I take it apart I see a mix of things like calcification, bristle worms, sponges, mulm etc. closing the diameter of my pvc.
Sounds like a very good habit. I definitely will be taking everything apart for a good scrub routinely.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drain line needs to be deeper in sump, and it will cut the noise way down. Filter sock does not hurt either. That flow can be made quiet, but agree for your tank size you can also cut flow back. im running 500gph through my sump and its quiet 6 below the surface going into a filter sock, tank is dead silent with 2 dursos, did have to insulate the drain pipes

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! New pump installed. Sweet littele pump. However I was still getting a ton of gurgling. So we remade the cap on top of the durso so a new hole could be made that held the airline tubing tightly. It was pretty loose before. Lowered the pump speed 2 lights and new cap....pretty quiet. Great success!

Thanks for everyone's help

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! New pump installed. Sweet littele pump. However I was still getting a ton of gurgling. So we remade the cap on top of the durso so a new hole could be made that held the airline tubing tightly. It was pretty loose before. Lowered the pump speed 2 lights and new cap....pretty quiet. Great success!

Thanks for everyone's help
Congrats on finding the right fix, I’m happy your enjoying your tank a bit more now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back