Drain Sizes

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning out the plumbing for my 240 and will have 2 drains feeding into the sump. The return will split into 2 returns. Trying to figure out what size drains to go with. Looking at 1 to 1-1/2”. Want to try to match up the return pump outlet size with the return line sizes, but what about the drains? Are there any pros/cons using 1 size vs. the other?
Thanks.

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make them big and run one as a full siphon with a valve on it and the other as a emergency overflow.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.25 or 1.5" would be best.

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you calling the overflow the drain? If so does each overflow have 2 drains?

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you calling the overflow the drain? If so does each overflow have 2 drains?
Yes, sorry, I wasn’t clear. I’m thinking that I also need to have each of the drains feed separately into the sump. I shouldn’t tee the 2 of them into into one inlet in the sump, right? Cause any type of blockage after the tee would compromise both of the main drains. Same for the emergency.

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my 215 with two corner overflows. One pipe for the emergency drain in each overflow that tee'd together and then went to the basement sump. The other 2 main drain pipes were not tee'd and each ran to the sump separately. Its a little hard to get the mains adjusted to run silently but just make small adjustments at a time. Use a larger dia pipe for the emergency overflow and even though its tee'd together you don't really have to worry about it ever plugging.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my 215 with two corner overflows. One pipe for the emergency drain in each overflow that tee'd together and then went to the basement sump. The other 2 main drain pipes were not tee'd and each ran to the sump separately. Its a little hard to get the mains adjusted to run silently but just make small adjustments at a time. Use a larger dia pipe for the emergency overflow and even though its tee'd together you don't really have to worry about it ever plugging.
OK, good info. Planning to do the same with a basement sump. Thanks.

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nice thing about a basement sump is that the falling water really "pulls" the water through the pipe. I could plug 3 of the 4 drains in the tank and it still would drain enough to keep up with the water coming into the tank.

Back