Drain tank instead of Fallow?

StarterSaltWater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am new to saltwater and totally cycled my 80g cube and Trigger system 30 sump. After cycling I slowly added 2 clown, 1 watchman goby, 3 PJ Cardinal, a Hippo tang and a Powder brown tang. Upon Adding the last 2 the tangs, I noticed first my Powder tang has mouth infection, THEN I noticed potentially black spots on him. In addition, I noticed the Hippo tang has a white spot most likely ich as well. Im devastated I knowingly did not quarantine and now basically torched my brand new tank. My question is, which im sure has been posted before, can I quarantine all my fish in a QT, drain my display tank, let it dry for a week then restart the cycle with fresh water while I treat all my fish (whatever survive) a 20 gal QT? I am just worried I have a host of different Ich and Bacterial infections in my tank now. ONLY my tangs show symptoms, the rest are fine, can I treat this in the tank or will it just re-surge later on when I least expect it? I would like to eventually add corals inverts etc so ideally would like to not run copper in my DT, ive also tried to fish them out and cannot without destroying the tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an amazing idea. @Humblefish and @HotRocks whats the study behind desiccation of fish disease as tank fallow replace

any encapsulation or encysting possible

because once dried, the tank isn’t aged forty months of organics and benthic life, doing a skip cycle restart on dry material to add back to treated fish can be done with common bottle bac.
skip fallow by initiating drying?
b

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an instant start is featured here. Add treated fish, *inverts from fallow systems* and it’s a disease controlled start.

how long would OP need to keep main system dried, question of the day.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an amazing idea. @Humblefish and @HotRocks whats the study behind desiccation of fish disease as tank fallow replace

any encapsulation or encysting possible

because once dried, the tank isn’t aged forty months of organics and benthic life, doing a skip cycle restart on dry material to add back to treated fish can be done with common bottle bac.
skip fallow by initiating drying?
b
If you bleach the tank and allow it to completely dry it would be disease free. You would also have to kill the live rock so it would basically be a complete reboot and cycle. Personally I think fallow is a much easier route.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an instant start is featured here. Add treated fish, *inverts from fallow systems* and it’s a disease controlled start.

how long would OP need to keep main system dried, question of the day.
Basically everything would have to be completely dry for 24-48 hours post sanitation. Including all sump equipment and anything in the tank itself.

OP
OP
S

StarterSaltWater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the feedback, I really don't know what to do, might see if my fish progress further with the ich/symptoms before I pull the trigger on anything, shame to have it sit for another 76 days and potentially not have that be the end all be all. But at the same time I do have a set up and running 20 gal QT I can instantly use to QT everyone in the mean time. I really need to bleach everything including the sand and rocks in order to kill this? Or simply letting it sit and dry / restart fresh water is enough? Im not against having it dry for a 1-2 week period and using bottled bacteria and I have already used fritz 9 to kick start this initial cycle. But, if these parasites/diseases can actually encapsulate for extended periods of time despite being dry and bleach is necessary I may just go fallow if this gets bad enough. I just dont want a problem later on and was kind of being impatient and jumping the gun to hoping to get lucky per say.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tear it down, I just went through 84 days fallow and regret not just tearing the tank down .

SuthernReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am new to saltwater and totally cycled my 80g cube and Trigger system 30 sump. After cycling I slowly added 2 clown, 1 watchman goby, 3 PJ Cardinal, a Hippo tang and a Powder brown tang. Upon Adding the last 2 the tangs, I noticed first my Powder tang has mouth infection, THEN I noticed potentially black spots on him. In addition, I noticed the Hippo tang has a white spot most likely ich as well. Im devastated I knowingly did not quarantine and now basically torched my brand new tank. My question is, which im sure has been posted before, can I quarantine all my fish in a QT, drain my display tank, let it dry for a week then restart the cycle with fresh water while I treat all my fish (whatever survive) a 20 gal QT? I am just worried I have a host of different Ich and Bacterial infections in my tank now. ONLY my tangs show symptoms, the rest are fine, can I treat this in the tank or will it just re-surge later on when I least expect it? I would like to eventually add corals inverts etc so ideally would like to not run copper in my DT, ive also tried to fish them out and cannot without destroying the tank.
Bumping this in hopes for feedback, as I'm in the same situation, but I have no fish left

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m not mistaken all posts currently being worked in the fish disease forum are not using total desiccation but they’re using fallow and quarantine setups, its the current going method. most disease analysts would agree to pull the fish, treat accordingly in separate ideal setups, fallow this display you have and reintroduce when both are ready.

desiccation goes beyond disease control and into biofilter+ all benthic life reset. Tank desiccation, while mighty thorough, is too impractical

we need that actual benthic growth and maturation to help suppress disease just as much as we need careful timed introduction of fish to limit vector inputs.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your filter bacteria will not be harmed, and when you revert back to reef salinity they still won’t be harmed, if you wouldn’t dose bottle bac here but rather prove what natural stores housed in insulating bio slicks can do… you’d be scoring one for the updated cycling science team

when these opportunities for proof reveal themselves in work threads I can’t not call out the savory data that could be earned.

Back