Draining skimmer waste

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 3, 2018
Messages
1,674
Reaction score
475
Location
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my tank in the basement. Does anyone have the skimmer drain line running to the basement drain and just leave it open to drain all the time so the cup doesn't get full?
 
I have my tank in the basement. Does anyone have the skimmer drain line running to the basement drain and just leave it open to drain all the time so the cup doesn't get full?
I did this at my old house. Works very well if skimming wet. I did flush the drain about once a month to cut smell down if there was any.
 
I did this at my old house. Works very well if skimming wet. I did flush the drain about once a month to cut smell down if there was any.
Same here…for past 40 yrs, my skimmers drain into my sump overflow pipes, and directly down the drain.
 
The danger here is that if you're skimmer goes crazy who knows how much could go down the drain, and your ato keeps filling. I know of a few people that have had similar things happen.

Get a skimmate locker. I only have to empty it every few months and it'll shut off if the skimmer goes crazy.
 
Last edited:
I’m trying to skim as dry as possible and the fact that I use a recirculating CO2 scrubber, I have to let mine collect in the cup. If there were a way to collect it remotely and still keep everything sealed from pulling in more CO2 saturated air from the house, then id be all over it!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new