Dream tank build, step one planning. Experienced helpers wanted!

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the good fortune of moving into a new home with what will become a dedicated fish room and 1200 square foot basement to play in. I am planning a new build and want to do it right the first time.

Thinking Reef Savvy 240g 8x2x2 tank with a powder steel stand and canopy of yet to be determined dimensions and material.

Bean animal over flow, going throw the wall into the fish room... Enter..you the reader.

I have not built a system this large before and would love any advice. I would like to do the following:
- External return pump for simplicity of maintenance
- Oversized external skimmer to avoid the need for upgrades where possible as well as easy maintenance and ability to scale with increased bioload.
- Large sump to increase water volume and dilution factor as well as house equipment with room to spare
- Biopellets, GFO, Carbon reactors are all likely
- Heater obviously but I can handle that.

Those are the barebones needs.

I am considering a Rubbermaid trough system to hold all but the return pump and skimmer. That way if the reactors leak or the lines leak there is no flood potential.

I will likely need to address power and humidity issues as well. I will have an electrician instal a separate system for the tanks needs.

RODI mixing station will probably be a large over under container system built next to the sump for ease of use. I may need to instal a pump capable of pumping the waste away into the main home system.

I plan to unions and schedule 80 valves everywhere.

Thanks!
- AA

JPSika08

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your planning build!

Regarding each equipment my recommendations would be:

- External Pump, Try looking at the Ecotech Vectra L1, other brands such as Reeflo are great external pumps as well. Depends a lot on the distance from the sump to the DT.
- Skimmer I would get one that almost doubles your system's overall water volume. Reef Octopus is a good choice, nice value for your money, Vertex, Skimz are good brands as well.
- Sump, as big as you can go, the more water the better.
- With media reactors there is an ocean of choices out there, Vertex, Reef Octopus, Two Little fishis, BRS, etc. I would recommend setting a manifold and a separate pump to feed this in order to manage all reactors individually.

Good luck!

JPSika08

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulkreef supply has a nice variety on SCH 80 pvc's.

What's your choice on lights?

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call on the Vectra L1. It is my top contender right now. Can work with my MP40qd and even get a battery backup should I go that route. You think a separate pump for all the reactors? I definitely planned a gate valve off the return feeding each but wasn't sure the net effect to my return pump pressure over all. Haven't been able to calculate yet.

We are in agreement on the skimmer, probably going to look for one rated for 5-600g heavy bioload.

Sump, more is more BUT you can get crazy with tiered flow structures etc so this will honestly be the biggest piece of planning. I want as big as possible but also with a cover/lid on as much as possible to avoid evaporation and any risk of contamination.

Thanks!

JPSika08

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my manifold on my system fed with the return pump, problem is that if the return pump fails, all your reactors will fail as well. So it's better not to place all eggs on the same basket.

I have a Reef Octopus 300 SSS Int due to space constrains, but in your case, going external is much better IMHO, less hassle to keep tuning the skimmer's needle. Get one with a DC pump, they do save some electricity.

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having a fish room sounds awesome! If I were doing a dream tank with a fish room, I think one thing I would consider is having the sump at the aquarium height. Meaning I would consider elevating the sump so that there is little or no head pressure to recirculate the tank. Also this would eliminate siphoning out of the display at time of power failure.

my dreamer hat is on.. not the practical one.. I am sure there is a downside like having to put a small stand or something to work in the sump. I haven't really seen anyone do this but something I would try if I didn't only have under the tank to hide filtration and equipment.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JPsika- I will likely run LED/T5 combo like I did on my 120. Kessil a360w and DIY T5 fixture. The kessils provide amazing flexibility in programming and shimmer and the T5 provide the light
dispersion and power to grow SPS. If I go 8ft it will be four kessils and 8 48" T5. 2 bulbs on either side of the kessils.

Butrfly - I'm going ghost overflow with a bean animal config. Back siphon should be minimal and the thought on reduced head pressure is good but I don't think it's worth raising it to the 5-6ft height haha. I will however be raising it about 1-2ft of the ground for my backs sake and to increase storage space underneath.

Had a 'fish room' in my old place. Makes this hobby about a million times easier if you have your mad scientist laboratory. Plus my wife prefers it over having it all out in the living space!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back