450g Island style build (Ryan's war of attrition)

Ripnlips82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a long wait, I am finally going to start this build. It is a Planet 450g, 96x36x30, full starfire, eurobraced with pvc bottom. It has 2 1.5in drains and two 1in returns. It also has a closed loop system in the bottom. I am building a 96x24 sump that will be plumbed into the basement fish room below. That room will have another 120g and 50g frag tank.

I still have a few things I need to figure out and would love to hear others experiences and opinions.

-Do I plumb the 114w Uv sterilizer into the return from the basement or into the closed loop system under the tank.
-what return pumps to use for 14-16ft head pressure? One Abyzz$$$ or red dragon (out of stock almost everywhere) running both 1.5" returns, two iwaki or two cheaper jebao dcp20000 and a couple extra on hand for the inevitable failure (if they will truly handle that head pressure). Due to the upfront cost I would prefer to use the jebao and upgrade after about 6 months to the abyzz. I would just use the jebao for salt mix and water changes.
-what pump for the closed loop 1" intake and return
-I currently have 2mp60s, 2pm40s and the closed loop. I assume this will be enough for a mixed reef?
-I have to move this glass beast from the garage, up two steps and through the front door. Hydraulic carts, a bunch of muscle and suction cups? Is this the best option?

Those of you that also have large systems...what would you change if you could start over. Things I should be aware of and prepared for? My 120g was setup in 8hrs because I had to move suddenly. I have never been happy with the scape and how messy the tank is. I added a pic of it as well.

I look forward to everyone's input and assistance, as this is quickly becoming a daunting task. My father has affectionately nicknamed it "Ryan's war of attrition"

Ryans450g.jpg Ryans 120g.jpg

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your build design and frag tank pic I don't think you need anyone to take charge of your build. The information already on this site as well as other sites with the information people voluntarily provide here is more than enough to have a successful build.

OP
OP
R

Ripnlips82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your build design and frag tank pic I don't think you need anyone to take charge of your build. The information already on this site as well as other sites with the information people voluntarily provide here is more than enough to have a successful build.
Sorry my intent is not for someone to take charge of my build but just to gather opinions and recommendations from others that have large systems. I'm a little indecisive in regard to plumbing this large of a system from a basement. I guess I should have posted this stuff in the discussion forum. I will read more into some of the larger builds with basement sumps.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of things....

1. for the UV, if you just want water clarity, which is a big deal on a large tank, it will do fine in your sump with it's own dc adjustable pump, just running in it's own circuit - taking water from the sump and returning it to the sump. I have no useful advice on that if you want to use it for parasites (no experience there), but, I would guess you would want it treating the display directly. I would still give it it's own pump. Getting the flow right is easy if the UV has it's own adjustable pump and you know the flow rates at the top and the bottom.
2. the abyzz pumps are great. If you can, start with it so you don't have to re plumb it later. It's NOT what you will want to be doing six months into live stock.
3. MP60s are tricky, because the are heavy and hit the floor unless they are resting on a tank brace at the very bottom of a bare bottom tank. If you want right to left movement across 96 inches... you should make your closed loop do that, or, you will need something bigger than an MP 60.
4. make sure you have a HVAC plan for the humidity.
5. over time, as your corals grow, you will need more diffuse light and more flow. If you use LED fixtures, make sure you are not required to run them at 100% to meet requirements (many brands don't last when run at 100% IME). So, make a light rack / hanging system that allows easy expansion if you don't cover the whole tank with a blanked of T5s or LEDs at the beginning.
6. good move on the basement fish room! Put as much plumbing down there as possible to avoid the leaks that might be otherwise detected by your spouse.

Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back