Drennons 75g to 75g upgrade!

Drennon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you read that correctly. This thread will be documenting my upgrade from a 75g tank to a whopping 75g tank...

Let me backtrack a little. Around 1 year ago something happened to me that will make many reefers jealous. I was introduced to the hobby... by my wife...

We had both owned fish tanks growing up, and ultimately desired to have one in our home now that we were "adults". I was all for doing a freshwater tank, but she who had kept saltwater before encouraged me to make the plunge into the daunting world of saltwater.

We purchased a 55 gallon used aquarium online and set it up as a FOWLR tank. We had two clowns and a banded coral shrimp after about 2 months of owning it. It was just as we were sat down on the sofa talking about how much we enjoyed the tank that it started to leak through a seam. Thank god we were there when it happened, because even getting to work immediately transferring fish and rock to ice chests we still had a big mess on our hands.

We decided that whilst looking for a replacement tank, we wanted to go a little larger. This led us to buying a used 75g tank online which we bought that same day. Following hurriedly putting together a stand from youtube DIY tutorials we were set up and ready to go. Crisis over, the fish had a home again.

This tank gradually evolved into a reef, with a variety of the beginner corals including GSP, Xenia and kenya trees. 6 months later we decided that the used tank was so heavily scratched up that it actually detracted from the tank. Additionally the thrown together stand wouldn't allow any space for a sump and was frankly was not structurally sound.

SO! The plan to upgrade to a new tank, and do it correctly started.

Petco were doing their sale of 50% off 75g tanks meant that I was able to pick one up for about $105.00 after tax.

Firstly, the stand. This time I wanted to ensure that it was strong enough, whilst also providing enough space inside for a 20g long sump. I ended up making the stand out of 2x4 and 2x6s.

1.jpg

Top and bottom frames were made with a slight overlap so the weight of the (glass) tank sat on the center of each piece of lumber.
2.jpg

Then the spacers were put in place to provide something to secure the 2x6's to.
3.jpg

All of the weight will be on the 2x6's. There will be 2 in each corner, and one in the back for peace of mind.
4.jpg

A coat of paint was put on the inside of the stand to help keep the moisture from the wood. Notice the notch in the corner of the stand. This was because initially I had planned a corner overflow, then decided that I often viewed the tank from the sides and would prefer a center overflow.
5.jpg

My 1800gph Internal overflow box arrived from reef creators. One of the teeth was broken in transit, and I can't commend the company highly enough for ensuring that this issue was rectified.
6.jpg

Holes drilled! This was the part that daunted me the most, thankfully it went smoothly though I can't say I look forward to ever doing it again. I went for three holes for a bean animal style overflow.
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg
Before attaching the overflow box, I wanted to make sure that the drains were going to act the way I expected them to. Thankfully, the bulkheads stayed dry and water flowed smoothly.

I also decided to split the return line pvc piping which was being run over the top of the tank.
10.jpg

The piping entering the sump isn't the most beautiful thing in the world, but it works.
11.jpg

View of the overflow and return lines from the back. The tank was painted black, which I think turned out quite well. I also added a ball valve that Tees off from the return line in case I want to add anything else down the road.
12.jpg

Wait a minute, this is going to be a pain to move into place, better add some unions!
13.jpg

Okay that looks better. It also gives me some flexibility to turn the PVC lines entering the sump in case I need to shift thins around.
14.jpg

First proper water test with the overflow box. No leaks! The drains are completely silent, the pump on the other hand is not. That will perhaps be the next upgrade (I got my existing return pump as a freebie from a local reefer).
15.jpg

NOW. It's time to dismantle the existing tank. Hold on, this isn't going to be enough work for me is it... I had better paint the room at the same time...
16.jpg

Water drained into various containers, fish and coral temporarily housed in my 20g long quarantine tank in the garage.
17.jpg

Tank removed, there was some serious salt damage to the wall (thanks HOB filter and HOB skimmer!)
18.jpg

The stand was topped with plywood and a yoga mat that I got for $5. It was likely unnecessary but I figured it couldn't hurt. After one leaking tank I wasn't ready to take any risks!
19.jpg

New tank and stand in place. Time to get the plumbing connected.
Once it was in position I spent around 45 minutes playing with shims to get it as level as possible.
20.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drennon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now the fun really starts, Aquascaping!

On my previous tank I had a lot of rock at the same height and it was frankly quite boring. We also sit on the left of the tank, so I had wanted to design a scape that would enable us to see more than just the closest rock. In my mind I had settled on two islands, a larger one on the right and a smaller one on the left.

With live rock though I didn't want to waste too much time aquascaping, thankfully things fit together in a way I liked.
22.jpg

with 60% of the rock in the tank, I decided to fill it up. Much of the rest of the rock had livestock such as corals and anemones attached and I wanted to get parameters matched up before going any further.
23.jpg

The next morning, the tank was still pretty cloudy but good enough to put some inverts in. The temp was just right and the salinity matched that of my quarantine tank, time to put more rock in.
24.jpg

26.jpg

Finally, after what felt like a very long weekend of working on this tank it was clear enough for the livestock. I'm really pleased with the caves in the rockwork, as well as being able to see most of the tank from my favorite seat to the left. The fish seem to have settled right in also and seem to enjoy exploring the caves and structures, I also seem to have kept all of my corals happy.

This has been a fun experience, building this tank over the past month and I can say that the tank is one that I am now proud of.

25.jpg

Last edited:

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! There is something to be said about doing the building yourself compared to setting up a manufactured system.

OP
OP
D

Drennon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO, on to the sump. I did a little reading online and found that people have had success with a 5k daylight LED bulb for growing macro algae. At less than $15 for both the bulb and the clip on mount, it is worth a try! I now have my sump semi organized with the HOB Reef Octopus 1000 skimmer on the left and a chamber for chaeto. I also grabbed some velcro pads to mount the wave maker controls.

A local reefer is trimming their chaeto today so I'm going to go and get some from her this afternoon.
20190116_091621.jpg

The cable management is not quite how I'd like it, but this is a project and projects mean gradual progress! I will get it sorted soon.
I got this return pump as a freebie, and whilst It's been great for water changes, it is far too noisy to be running 24/7. My wife gave me the go ahead to get a new one and I went for the Jebao 4000, expecting it to arrive tomorrow.

NOW! I am pleased to say that the water is super clear and looking far healthier than it did in the old tank!
20190116_091639.jpg

20190116_091633.jpg

20190116_091654.jpg

20190116_091712.jpg

OP
OP
D

Drennon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's time for a one week update. Since my last post I have picked up some chaeto from a local reefer and I have to say I am thrilled that it was teeming with beneficial critters. In the softball sized clump there were more bristle worms than I could count, and I even saw a bristlestar which my kids were excited to see. The bristle worms kinda grossed them out, but that's okay. They are mostly out of sight...

I need to do some more research about light schedules for a refugium. At the moment I have them come on for 14 hours starting late afternoon and ending mid morning. If anybody has some tips for lighting schedules feel free to leave them here!

20190116_202006.jpg

Since dismantling the old tank, I had a spare HOB emperor400 filter from the first tank. With the new sump I deemed it unnecessary and posted it online to de-clutter my garage.

Somebody online offered a trade for 35lb of unused dry rock, which I couldn't turn down! Now I just need to decide where to put it. Possibly some in the refugium to help the critters establish themselves.

20190120_102232.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drennon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the new return pump arrived. I was a little concerned that there may be noise from the jebao 4000 based on mixed reviews. Thankfully, it seems to be working well and is close to silent.

20190124_202052.jpg

I originally had it suspended to minimize the vibration. I don't want to put any stress on the pvc pipe though so now have it sitting on a bag of carbon.

20190124_202101.jpg

Velcro sticky pads were used to secure the pump and wave maker to the stand.

20190124_202033.jpg

It took a surprisingly long time to silence the bean animal overflow lines. I then realized that the source of the noise was the waterfall inside the internal overflow box. Thankfully this was easily fixed by turning the pipe inlet to increase the water depth in the box. This way the water had a smaller distance to fall. It seems to have solved the noise issue and I am able to run the pump at around 60% completely silently.

I currently evaporate around 1 gallon per day. It takes about 72 hours for my return pump sump compartment to run empty, I get air bubbles starting to enter the return line after around 48 hours. Thankfully I haven't had to leave for work recently so can top up with RODI as needed, but I think an ATO may be next on my priority list!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drennon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my very first coral was a medium sized Kenya tree. This was also my test subject whilst trying to learn to frag corals. My early fragging practice yielded me with about 8x 3 inch Kenya Trees. My lfs will trade them for store credit, so yesterday I grabbed 5, a couple of frags of palys and zoas and a small monti cap and took them in.

With my store credit in hand, I bolstered my clean up crew with 6x astraea snails, a brittle star and an urchin. The urchin is a beautiful color, and other than knocking over frags on the sand bed seems to be doing well!

20190206_123808.jpg

I also picked up 3x new mushrooms for $50. They are an orange ricordia, blue ricordia and another that I'm not so sure about.

20190206_123753.jpg

I had about 3 days of cyanobacteria bloom recently. Thankfully it cleared itself up on its own!

Unfortunately, I've had some issues with my Condy anemone moving around the tank. It seems to have stung my montipora and is now close to my hammer. If it doesn't find a good place soon I may need to reconsider keeping it. It would certainly be a shame to lose it though, it certainly is a very pretty animal.

20190206_123759.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drennon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, this is a bad post about losing a coral! Last post I mentioned a wandering condy anemone stinging my montipora. Since then half the monti has turned white!

20190210_085905.jpg

I decided to pull the monti out and frag the dying area off the main cap. The underside of the dead area had a bunch of vermetid snails!!

20190210_091657.jpg

This explains the death starting from the bottom (on the rock!). The rock and monti came from a local reefer a little while ago, but I didn't have the experience at the time to look out for these guys. I have removed every part of the cap that had snails, and put the remaining "clean" frags into my quarentine tank.

I have removed all the rocks surrounding the cap, found and removed 3 more snails. Thankfully I see no more in the entire tank, but will watch it closely...

20190210_094049.jpg

This was a small frag that fell off the cap during the move, it also turned white and I pulled it. It has a snail!

I now feel like I'm mostly snail free, but am armed with superglue for any others that show up!

20190210_094058.jpg

The live rock is removed and is soaking in vinegar while I decide how to clean it

OP
OP
D

Drennon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the remaining frags. If any of them make it I'll be happy. Is there any dip that would help with the snails?

20190210_110343.jpg

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you find a fix for those snails id love to hear it, my tank is covered.. haha. But beautiful set up ! im also about to upgrade to a 75g from my nuvo 20g :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back