Drill a 15g? Or other budget reefready frag tank reccomendations?

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank is starting to get some nice overgrowth (not the worst problem to have).

I am trying to get some inspiration on plumbing in a small frag tank of the 10-25gal range into my main system. I am pretty good at plumbing it in. I am more so looking for a small cheap tank to drill but I am worried that the glass on a 15g tank is too thin. Any one have experience in drilling the smaller tanks?

As far as I know the 10g tanks are too thin to drill, but the 15g is made of the same thickness as the 20g's.

Or if there are other small footprint. (No bigger than 24"x24") budget friendly options I overlooked then Id love to see what you guys have done or can think of.

I am not looking to set up a separate system just looking to take advantage of my existing skimmer heater and ato, just something to plumb in and hold some frags.

Thank in advance R2R!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can drill a dollar-per-gallon Petco AGA 15... they are thick enough if you are careful. I have done this my self. You can also order a tank of your choosing with thicker glass and holes drilled from the factory, but it will cost more money.

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can drill a dollar-per-gallon Petco AGA 15... they are thick enough if you are careful. I have done this my self. You can also order a tank of your choosing with thicker glass and holes drilled from the factory, but it will cost more money.
Thanks!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back