Drilling 36 Gallon Bowfront

Ryan98720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a 36 Gallon Bowfront aquarium on Craigslist not too long ago and am in the process of setting up my first reef tank. Testing it to make sure there are no leaks or anything, but after it passes the leak test I plan to drill the back glass for a Medium Marine Depot overflow box and a return. Trying to make sure that I can drill the glass as I cannot find anywhere online where people say that they have drilled it. I know that it can be done as long as the back glass is not tempered... the problem is that since it is a used aquarium and i don't have any of the info that came with it, I can't be sure if its tempered or not. I tried the trick using polarized glasses and my computer screen. The front bowfront glass did not ever back out... only showed dark banding. The back glass got very very dim, but i could still faintly see the black typing on the screen. However, I never did see any banding... Would this mean that the back is okay to drill?

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been a while since i did my 40b ....but i recall that i did the screen/ glasses trick to the side window of my car(tempered) to verify exactly what i was looking for on the tank

OP
OP
R

Ryan98720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea! I'll definitely try that out! Just to see! So if the back glass and the car window look the same I can't drill it correct?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g bow front. I did the polarized sunglasses trick. The sides, back, and bottom were all not tempered glass. Sometimes places use tempered glass in those spots if it is convenient for them. I would recommend you try to see if you have a real pair of those glasses. All you need is a good pair of glasses and a white pc, or cell phone screen. Look at the stress points of the glass that's where the banding stands out on tempered.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back