Drilling a Collection Cup

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any tricks I should know about drilling a round collection cup?

I have to drill from the side (round part) because of how the collection cup sits.

Also, what is the best way to add a drain at that point? Should I just use a uniseal?

Is there an easier way to do what I am wanting to do here? Basically I am wanting to put a drain on a Reef Octopus 110-S. That way I can use the skimmer with a neck cleaner and a skimmate locker. I will have to travel for a few weeks at a time in 2021 and want the skimmer part of my tank as automated as possible.

I appreciate your help!

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this. Dont use a drill bit! You will crack the acrylic. Instead get a Dremel grinding bit and "grind" out a hole to the size you want. I then epoxied a john guest push fitting so that i could add a valve and a barbed fitting on t he other end of the valve to add a vinyl hose into the sewer line. Only i did it on the bottom of the cup, same principle applies to the side of the cup. Dont push too hard on the dremmel bit, let it do the work.

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this. Dont use a drill bit! You will crack the acrylic. Instead get a Dremel grinding bit and "grind" out a hole to the size you want. I then epoxied a john guest push fitting so that i could add a valve and a barbed fitting on t he other end of the valve to add a vinyl hose into the sewer line. Only i did it on the bottom of the cup, same principle applies to the side of the cup. Dont push too hard on the dremmel bit, let it do the work.
I am surprised the John Guest fitting does not clog at all.

Becareful having the drain empty directly into the sewer if you also have a large ATO resivoir. My buddy lost an amazing 450g that way. His skimmer freaked out, overflowed basically and dumped a 100g fresh water into his display.

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add freshwater manually. Thanks for the advice! I run my skimmer wet so the john guest doesnt clog.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 60 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 65 54.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.6%

Back