Drilling an operating tank?

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an existing 37 gallon tank. I have been using a Seachem Tidal 110 HOB filter. I am having challenges with maintaining parameters such as pH. I am considering adding a sump down in the stand. However, I have 2 options that I am considering.... 1) I already have HOB overflow boxes not being used, CPR which requires a aqualifter pump or other pump to maintain a siphon or a Eshoppe PF 800. 2) Order a internal/external overflow (Eshoppe Eclipse M) and somehow drill the existing tank. The con is dealing with an existing tank. The pro is having a reliable overflow. Option 1 has a higher potential for leaking outside of the system. I have read threads that some have not had any problems. My life dark cloud would say that I would have a failure. Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

NickSc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the hang on the back overflow. If you have two drains on it make it a herbie style. If you are worried about overflow from the overflow breaking siphone, just make sure the sump pump chamber water volume does not exceed the extra volume you have in the main display.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’d want to take the tank down and move all inhabitants, sand, and rock to another temporary tank. In which case, why not just upgrade? You definitely don’t want glass shards getting into the tank or sand bed. Also keep in mind that sometimes tanks that don’t have tempered glass on the front or sides can still have a tempered back panel. Even if not, there’s still the chance you could crack the tank and then you’d have a problem.

So having looked into this a bunch for myself, it seems like a hang on overflow is a good option. Some are more reliable than others but I found better reviews for the Eshoppes dual siphon (so there’s a backup) rather than the ones relying on a pump, but both have their pluses and minuses. Just for extra security I’d use a high water sensor with my Apex so it can shut off the return pump and alarm if siphon is broken. With no Apex there’s robotank/reefpi which is pretty affordable and provides other automation benefits but very DIY. Even aside from smart controllers I feel like I saw a water-level switched socket once. Maybe something like this could work; meant to turn on in air for ATO, so it would be placed in the tank above the normal water line. Or, as mentioned above, just keep a small enough sump and low enough water line that the tank can handle the volume, but you still risk burning up your return pump if that happens. Still, Apex or reefpi would be my top choices in case siphon was broken on vacation so I could call a tank sitter to fix it; cheaper DIY options don’t come with notifications.

Just speaking from hours of research here, in the end I decided to upgrade to a dream tank instead. The 40g will be a post-QT obs tank going forward.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you sure it's not tempered glass I would drill it. I drilled a set up 15 gallon standard tank. Just lower the water level. Go slow and spray water as lubricant. I taped the inside behind the hole to keep crud out of the tank. If you have a bigger tank with thicker glass than I had even better.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only seen people successfully drill a thick, larger tank in place. This is super risky with anyway, and especially with thin glass.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back