Drilling thin acrylic box

Brfoster77

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 11, 2023
Messages
13
Reaction score
44
Location
Somerset
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I've googled "drilling acrylic", and there's thousands of opinions of what bit to use, and how to do it, but I wanna ask folks that may have done this same project.

I've got an acrylic ato box that is want to drill a 1/2" hole in, to make a gravity fed ato system. I dunno if I've ever seen a 1/2" hole saw, so what can I use instead? Regular bit? Step bit? Beaver tooth? Chainsaw? Lol... seriously, what would you all recommend? Thanks a bunch!
 
Normal hole saw will grab, not drill.
I saw some had success with hole saw backwards.
 
you could also use a soldering iron or something similar to melt a hole, just trace the intended hole out first. I think this would eliminate the cracking issue.
 
Normal hole saw will grab, not drill.
I saw some had success with hole saw backwards.
I used a hole saw on a piece that was 1/2" thick with no issues, but this thinner stuff i was worried about.
 
Are you drilling into a sheet of acrylic or is the box already made?

IME you can use these with good results:
- large twist drill (regular drill bit) with a wood backing (Wouldn't use if the box is already built)
- Forstner bit
- Step bit (looks like a low poly cone)

They do have 1/2" hole saws but they're too grabby for thin acrylic so I wouldn't use those. You can use them backwards but the hole will likely have a melt zone around it where the acrylic isn't perfectly flat. I'm assuming you'll need to seal to this.
 
Are you drilling into a sheet of acrylic or is the box already made?

IME you can use these with good results:
- large twist drill (regular drill bit) with a wood backing (Wouldn't use if the box is already built)
- Forstner bit
- Step bit (looks like a low poly cone)

They do have 1/2" hole saws but they're too grabby for thin acrylic so I wouldn't use those. You can use them backwards but the hole will likely have a melt zone around it where the acrylic isn't perfectly flat. I'm assuming you'll need to seal to this.
Will be drilling on a box. I'm not sure the thickness, as I've not seen the box yet, but I'm guessing worst case, 1/4".
 
Will be drilling on a box. I'm not sure the thickness, as I've not seen the box yet, but I'm guessing worst case, 1/4".
nice. In this case I think thicker is actually better. If you're able to insert some wood into the box with a clamp and maybe hang it off a bench or something it will help with any potential roughness on the back of the cut.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new