DRIVING FORCE: May The 4th Be With You!! (WIN a R2R Swag Pack)

What or Who has been a driving FORCE for you in this hobby? (select all that apply)

• Friends in the hobby

Votes: 192 29.2%
  • A website or forum

Votes: 234 35.6%
  • A certain tank build or thread

Votes: 94 14.3%
  • A popular online pesonality

Votes: 115 17.5%
  • A book or publication

Votes: 47 7.1%
  • Reef2Reef (sorry not sorry)

Votes: 295 44.8%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 196 29.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
may the 4th.jpg

Happy May the 4th be with you day to you all!

In celebration of this fun day I thought we could share some inspiration with one another and you might even win a prize! I will draw a winner tonight some time! In order to get entered to win you need to answer the following question.

1. What or whom has been the greatest driving FORCE for you to become a better aquarium keeper?

I will pick 3 winners via a random number generator, from your post here, to have a R2R Swag Pack shipped to you including a hat and t-shirt and more! (international winners will have to pay for actual shipping) We're running very low on color choices and sizes so you'll have to be good with what we send you! HA!

hats2.jpg

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a lot of reading before I started but R2R was and still is an inspiration to me and why I got the courage to start a reef tank. With all the moments I wanted to just quit, I would stay motivated to keep going and this site has a lot to do with it. Just what I’ve learned from the knowledgeable folks here, I’ve learned to be a better reefer. Also, the many YouTube videos and all the BRS tutorials are great as well.

Niteowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being in this hobby since 1992 so much has changed. Not having many locals in the hobby in my small town, I ( like many) turn to the internet. Seeing others tanks here on R2R is inspirational to keep progressing to the reef I have in my mind. Also watching YouTube videos of BRS , saltwater aquarium, marine depot and others also inspire. Keep on reefing and May the Fourth be with you.

kutcha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me it has been multiple different things i love reef2reef for the multitude of information and community definetly makes the hobby easier cause of information sharing. However i also love watching some of my favorite youtubers share there experiences and builds as they go through it on youtube im currently watching inappropriate reefer's 135 build and farm boys hulk 600 gallon build.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have to say Reef 2 Reef has been instrumental for guidance in getting back into the hobby.

I left 10 years ago, and reefcentral ruled the "reef forums" space.

I often search for something, find some posts there, and then get better keywords to search for here. I find that information here seems more "mature" in that it has been filtered a little better to remove the nonsense and noise and I see other users even preventing bad advice from growing here. Bad advice is the aiptasia of reef forums and it is EVERYWHERE unless the users themselves actively weed it out.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D :D Started my first reef tank in 1988 …. no websites, R2R or online personalities then …. so it's none of those. What really got me going was a chance 1985/6 encounter with Albert Thiel (then of Dupla) who was setting up the first 'technology' tank that I had ever seen. Initially for freshwater then reef, I was hooked. Used the DuplaSun LI HQI fixture for almost 20 years. Tanks from the likes of aquarists like David Saxby are an ongoing source of inspiration.

Thought about voting for books (a close second) .... for those younger reefers, books are a quaint form of information transfer using trees.

BluTang85

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would have to say BRS, R2R and reefing buddies. Whenever I need assistance or have questions I always turn to R2R for help and everyone is very friendly to lend and helping hand. The BRS videos are so informative to watch I learn a lot from those guys.

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've met a lot of enablers on r2r. They have helped push me and expand my knowledge. Thanks @Crabby48 @Katrina71 @NY_Caveman who helped push me into a bta. @Katrina71 gang helped me through the fragging process.

The driving factor of my tank is wanting it to succeed. My tank is one of my retreats. Since I can't play bball with my friends, my tank is my new zen. It's my calming spot. I'll do my devotions in front of the tank. It's my place to help calm and focus. It also reminds me of God. When I look at the Corals and everything I do to try to replicate thier habitat it reminds me of Gods hand.

Cleaner.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a reef tank 7 yrs ago[just a 29] but I had a stroke and so things got put on hold,,,well I thought id give it another whirl,,its been 1.5 yrs and its still here,everythings alive but ive had quite the boneyard in the process im reaching out to R2R for info---friendship,and how to buy -trade maybe even sell some....so that my story in a nutshell

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back