Drooping hammer coral?

24/7ReeFTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer coral is like falling out of its shell it doesn’t look good at all. I don’t know what is happening or if it has a disease? Can anyone help? And no the Aiptasia is not stinging it the coral is 4 inches away and I’m taking care of the Aiptasia.
Thanks in advance.
A208C296-DE82-47AA-B289-489ACC05C13C.jpeg
CDB1D8BA-66EC-488A-AEB1-825C77BEA87E.jpeg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post your water parameters. BTW kudos for uploading good photos that are in white light. It seems like something in the water is out of balance and the Hammer is not liking it at all.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the flow where it's located? Hammers are pretty picky about the flow they are exposed to. A soft or low flow makes them happy. Too high or a sharp flow can literally blow them apart.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If parameters are in acceptable ranges and stable: I would look at flow.

my hammer: when cleaning the Gyre, I put it back about 2 inches lower then it previously was. I didn't notice at the time, but with gyre in lower position it changed the flow pattern in the tank just enough to make the hammer angry. My tank is in my office, when I returned next day it looked like yours. I thought it was a goner.

once I figured out it was the flow, adjusted the gyre, and within a few days it was back to normal.

i am no expert, but Wanted to share my experience. Good luck and happy reefing.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert. But I would look up brown jelly. You may have it. I feel for you man, I wish you luck. I sincerely hope you figure out what’s the issue and I hope your able to correct it.

if not, chalk it up to a learning experience. Don’t beat your self up.
I’m sorry I do not have any good advise to offer. Take care man.
Keep us updated.

OP
OP

24/7ReeFTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert. But I would look up brown jelly. You may have it. I feel for you man, I wish you luck. I sincerely hope you figure out what’s the issue and I hope your able to correct it.

if not, chalk it up to a learning experience. Don’t beat your self up.
I’m sorry I do not have any good advise to offer. Take care man.
Keep us updated.
Thank you

OP
OP

24/7ReeFTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is brown jelly what’s the best approach on getting rid of it so it doesn’t spread. And how would it have got there because the coral isn’t new and none of the other corals show any signs.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I have never dealt with it personally. There are some good threads here, I would do some searching and see what you can find. From my understanding, the infection goes faster then you can treat it, but I think there are some (few) that have had luck getting rid of it.

Either way keep the thread updated. In The event you don’t beat or do beat it (or hopefully you don’t have it) :your experience may be helpful to fellow reefers.

but I feel your pain, and wish I had a solution for you. Take care my friend and good luck with this

OP
OP

24/7ReeFTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I have never dealt with it personally. There are some good threads here, I would do some searching and see what you can find. From my understanding, the infection goes faster then you can treat it, but I think there are some (few) that have had luck getting rid of it.

Either way keep the thread updated. In The event you don’t beat or do beat it (or hopefully you don’t have it) :your experience may be helpful to fellow reefers.

but I feel your pain, and wish I had a solution for you. Take care my friend and good luck with this
Ok I will do some searching right now it is in a breeding box in the tank it is getting no flow and it’s being closely monitored. I can’t tell if it’s brown jelly or if it’s just torn apart. I did see my filefish picking at it earlier that may have torn it up. I will update

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back