Dropped light into tank!

ConnivingPigeon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

In the middle of moving, I knocked my fluval marine 3.0 light into the tank, and the end with the touch button fell into the water a couple inches deep. I immediately pulled it out, unplugged it and have a floor fan blasting it to dry it off. Is there anything else I can do to increase my chances of it not dying? I see it's IP67 rated, but I also have seen that IP ratings are for fresh and not salt water...

I got it literally a month ago, so I'll be bummed to have to replace it so soon :(

237DB738-1FDA-40F1-B83C-A3BC2B687F7F.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toss it in some rice for a week before trying it out. At least they are cheap if it doesn't work out.

OP
OP
ConnivingPigeon

ConnivingPigeon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally it wouldn't be a big deal to replace it, but moving kinda evaporated all of my playing around money :)

is there a way to disassemble that end to get in with a q-tip or some RO water or something? I don't see any visible screws or tabs

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for last post. I didn't think this was a light for coral. Unsure on how to tear one apart. I would be 100% sure it's dry before trying. Rice may still be your best option.

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely give it a thorough RODI rinse. If it’s IP67 it should be fine, but the last thing you want is to dry it out leaving a bunch of salt to corrode the interior or possibly lead to more damage.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dumped a bucket of saltwater on one of my black box LED's once. I turned it off immediately and sat it out in the sun for two days. It was hot out. The thing fired right back up and that was 3 years ago. It's still humming away.

Back