Dropped my Fish!!!!!!

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was moving my juvi red coris wrasse into a different tank (have had him for a year) and I dropped him from about 4 feet. Then he thrashed around to the back of my stand. It took me about 15 seconds to get to him. I decided to just put him in the tank without any acclimation because I didn't want to stress him out more. I put him in and it looked like his back was arched and he also couldn't dive into the sand. Now, he is resting against the rock and breathing heavily. It turned off the light in the hope that he would relax.

At this point, I have no idea if it has a broken back or is just stunned. After all, he was pulled out of the sand, dropped on to the floor, and thrown into a new tank. Also, this fish is SUPER shy. He has never stayed out of the sand for more than a few hours per day in the morning. I am going to wait it out and see if he improves. I am so upset because it is only now that I am seeing the adult blue spots starting to emerge on this special fish. Please let me know if you have had any similar experience or tips. Thanks!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown fish jump out of the tank trying to bite my hand that was above the waterline. She dropped about 5 feet onto a tile floor. After i put her back in the tank, she acted very shy and hid in a corner fir a couple days. Then, she turned back into an evil devil and started acting normal trying to bite me all the time.

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He should be fine from the drop. I seen my Christmas Wrasse shoot out of the tank once as I was walking up to feed the tank. He was little excited. He slapped the floor I struggled to pick him up and throw him back in the tank. He was in shock but the next day he was out and about as if nothing happened. That was about a 4-5ft drop.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your fish, hope it makes it.
R2R Welcome.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor little guy... certainly makes for a bad day for him. He should be okay.

Personally, I would have put him back into the tank from which he came so that he had time to calm down in familiar surroundings, then try again another day.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help, everyone! He managed to bury himself under the sand last night and is now swimming around like nothing happened :)

Awesome news

1572993695044.gif

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 46 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back