Dropping a circuit into living room?

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased and am moving into what I hope is my forever house. This is a two story home so my question being is how difficult is it to run a dedicated circuit into the living room. This room is dead center in the house and the garage with the electrical panel is about 50 feet away. Would an electrician need to cut into the ceiling or walls to fish the lines through? Thanks!

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends how the home it layed out they might not have to make any visable cuts if they can fish the wires thru,,, do you have an attic, is the attic a straight shot to the garage.. its really not hard to run a circuit

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No basement- but are your on a slab or raised foundation?

if they have to go thru the walls- usually they make a few small holes and fish wires through. But if they have to go thru walls then yes there will be some patching needed

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No basement- but are your on a slab or raised foundation?

if they have to go thru the walls- usually they make a few small holes and fish wires through. But if they have to go thru walls then yes there will be some patching needed
That’s what I figured. It is a slab. I made the thread because I have painters in the house right now and they are about to paint that room and I would hate to tear into the walls if they didn’t have to.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably have an attic, run it from the box though the attic and down the wall. Any electrician can do it. I have two 20 amp circuits installed for my tank before the flood of 2016. Where in Louisiana are you located?

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reputable electrician or contractor would be able to run a circuit no problem, and even if they had to cut holes, should patch them and leave it in original condition! I’ve had local “handymen” run cable lines as well as add electrical circuits with zero problems. Running lines on an interior wall is much easier than on an exterior wall since they have fire breaks.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably have an attic, run it from the box though the attic and down the wall. Any electrician can do it. I have two 20 amp circuits installed for my tank before the flood of 2016. Where in Louisiana are you located?
There is attic but a bedroom directly above the wall it would need to be placed. I’m in Shreveport.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reputable electrician or contractor would be able to run a circuit no problem, and even if they had to cut holes, should patch them and leave it in original condition! I’ve had local “handymen” run cable lines as well as add electrical circuits with zero problems. Running lines on an interior wall is much easier than on an exterior wall since they have fire breaks.
Thanks, I’m probably putting way to much thought into something simple haha

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’m probably putting way to much thought into something simple haha
Not if it's a two-story house and you are adding a circuit to the first floor room. I'd recommend calling an electrician before you do a lot of painting and finish work in that room.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interior walls typically do not have insulation so easier to fish wire so use that to your advantage. If you have baseboard, sometimes removing and drilling holes in studs is easier than patching drywall. Unless your electrician or handyman is an expert drywall patches always can be seen. The texture and sheen of the patch and paint are almost always different, never mind whether it’s actually feather out properly. Painting a patch job after the fact also is a headache because paint never matches.

I say plan it all out before you paint. Everyone’s has different expectations when it comes to how a finished wall should look. If you aren’t picky hack away and paint later. If you’re picky .... pause.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call an electrical contractor, r2r is bad enough when you have a spec of algae, let alone electrical requirements for your house, its not to bad call a few either way get a licensed and insured contractor, save anymore headache for other things.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had this done, 3 holes cut in ceiling that I needed to patch

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing that might help is if you have recessed lights. You might be to take them down and fish wire through a ceiling. Nothing worse that ceiling patches and paint. Maybe take advantage of closets too where you don’t care how a patch looks.

Just need to plan it out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back