Drug interactions

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some info in the stickies but couldnt find a list anywhere.

I recently dosed Prazipro in a QT tank and im not sure if one of the fish has bacterial infections. She has white/mucus like spots (not ich nor velvet spots). Its only day 2 of the prazipro treatment, but would like to dose kanaplex or metroplex.

Can I mix kanaplex or metroplex with Prazipro?

Also, @Humblefish - I just realized that you mentioned in one of the stickies not to mix Prazipro/ammonia reducers. I have consistently done this through TTM. Did I just get lucky? Should i stop as its part of my QT process?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing Prazipro with other meds/ammonia reducers seems to be hit or miss. I mixed it 3-4 times with CP before the interaction caused a major bacterial bloom which killed a CBB (O2 deprivation), and I just barely managed to saved a Chevron that was in there as well. Similarly, there are anecdotal accounts of people mixing Prazipro with Prime without issue; others report waking up to a QT full of dead fish. :eek:

I did some research, and the culprit appears to be the Oxybispropanol (inert solubilizing agent) found in Prazipro. Mixing that with other meds will sometimes cause a bacterial bloom (very cloudy water), which starves O2 out of the water. Sometimes a mild bacterial bloom is no big deal; generally, the cloudier the water gets the worse it is. However, in extreme cases it can lead to asphyxiation in marine animals. So, I tell people not to mix Prazipro with anything just to play it safe. ;)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%

Back