Dry pellet food without fillers?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, does anyone know of a medium to large dry pellet food but does not contain fillers such as wheat flour, potato starch or any other of that kind of garbage? I haven’t been able to find much! Of course I feed mysids and other frozen foods but my boxfish love pellets for some reason so I’m looking for a healthier alternative than Hikari, which is still majority wheat flour :(

Thanks!

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested
i feed my yellow tang hippo tang six line wrasse and flame red hawk fish exclusively on ocean nutrition formula 1 and 2 mixed together. From what I know it’s the one of the best all round pellets out there.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed New Life Spectrum pellets. They do contain wheat flour, but mostly krill, squid, fish, seaweed, macro algae from the ocean. My fish love it. When they see me walk up to the tank, they gather at the top and attack it with vengeance.

36% protein, 7% fat.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I use Hikari as a supplement (both herbivore and carnivore pellets). When I look at PE, Hikari, NLS they all look very similar. Wheat flour (which I assume is critical in pellet formation and not just a filler - yes I said assume, I don't know). Some have more protein (which is why I go with Hikari and may switch to Reef Nutrition TDO) some more of other vitamins/nutrients. Unless you go with live/frozen you're always going to have additives for the conveniences of pellet/flake such as long term storage, no refrigeration, etc.

I think all the name brand high quality products for pellets are good to use. I also believe in feeding a variety of foods, pellets, frozen, seaweed, supplements. I like to combine in a 'paste' food and fill small freezer trays. But when I get lazy I'll just feed that separately throughout the week.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back