Drywall and Other Dust, How Big of a Problem?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
260 gallon tank, eurobraced top with eggcrate covers over the open areas. Sump is fully enclosed by the stand and also has a lid.

I am in the final stages of repairing flood damage and I have to sand some drywall. It’s in a separate room from the tank, but both are in my basement. That room also currently does not have a door. I know there’s things I can do to reduce the dust and cover the tank while actively sanding and during cleanup. But I would like to know how big of a problem it will be if some dust gets in the water.

As for the other dust, I live in a town that is a dustbowl in the best of times, but this year it’s particularly bad. Between the new rock quarry less than a kilometre from my house and the entire town, especially in my area, covered with a thick layer of fine river sediment, it’s quite bad. Tank has been up only a couple weeks and there’s already a good buildup on top of it. Is this going to end up causing a problem with water quality/nuisance algae? It’s hard to tell at the moment as I am undergoing the ugly stages from all the new rock.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably cover your tank with some plastic sheeting (leave some gaps in the back for airflow) along with the front and sides of the stand (you'd be amazed what gets sucked in even with a closed cabinet). I assume you'll probably place some plastic sheeting in the doorway of the room you're drywalling, so the only other suggestion would be to buy an inexpensive air filter that you can place between the room and tank in an effort to suck up anything.

Alazo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't a door in that room but is there a doorway?. If yes, you can tape it off. Also running filter socks won't hurt. Maybe turn skimmer of for the duration of your sanding.

JMO but I don't think drywall dust will hurt anything. As far as your area, are there any reef clubs around?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back