OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok we'll you guys know me I change tanks all the time lol. At the moment I'm out of town but when I get back i will be swapping again to a 48x48x24 rimless cube. If any body is gonna want my 185 let me know.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

p woodard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok we'll you guys know me I change tanks all the time lol. At the moment I'm out of town but when I get back i will be swapping again to a 48x48x24 rimless cube. If any body is gonna want my 185 let me know.

I'm out lol

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?? so you are dumping this 185? with all the work you have done so far??

anyways, I went back and re-read your thread a bit. one major thing stands out to me. You are imploring two methods to remove your phosphates. algae scrubber and Bio Pellets. one thing I know and see regularly in my tank is that with bio pellets you have to have nitrates and Phosphates available for them. if you have Zero phosphates available for the pellets, then they wont reduce Nitrates. opposite is in effect here too.

also, on your chiller coil, make sure it is in a high flow area of your sump. ive seen folks take the coils like yours and put it inside a larger diameter PVC pipe. cut a slit so you can insert it a bit then connect it to your drain in to the sump. now you have an inline chiller.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?? so you are dumping this 185? with all the work you have done so far??

anyways, I went back and re-read your thread a bit. one major thing stands out to me. You are imploring two methods to remove your phosphates. algae scrubber and Bio Pellets. one thing I know and see regularly in my tank is that with bio pellets you have to have nitrates and Phosphates available for them. if you have Zero phosphates available for the pellets, then they wont reduce Nitrates. opposite is in effect here too.

also, on your chiller coil, make sure it is in a high flow area of your sump. ive seen folks take the coils like yours and put it inside a larger diameter PVC pipe. cut a slit so you can insert it a bit then connect it to your drain in to the sump. now you have an inline chiller.

On the cube I'm still thinking about it. And the only reason I have not done it is because the tank is looking good. On the bio pellets and algae scrubber my tank has never looked any better. There are plenty people running this method with great result. The way I did it I install the pellets first with a full dose and waited for the pellets to consume all the nitrates and when that happens I installed the scrubber which force it to rely on my phosphates one thing I do is I feed a lot. I feed pellets 4 times a day and two cubes of frozen every day. And I have 21 fish on my 185 which includes a 7 inch foxface, three 4 inch tangs one adult coral beauty one dotty back one mated pair adult clowns one mated pair of juvi clowns a trio of tread fin anthias a Midas Blenny a mandarin a melanarus wrasse 4 green chromis about 50 scarlet hermets and my corals.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I don't use any GFO or any other filtration just skimmer bio pellets and algae scrubber and it keeps up with everything

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the boss informed me we are destined for a 180 after she saw Mike's and when we helped pick up Josh's on Sunday. We might be in the market...

Mac

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48x48 would be fine but if I did that I would have the overflow box put in the center of the tank. Stack the rock up around it and blend in the powerheads and make sure the plug in would go up in the canopy to hide the wires.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48x48 would be fine but if I did that I would have the overflow box put in the center of the tank. Stack the rock up around it and blend in the powerheads and make sure the plug in would go up in the canopy to hide the wires.

I want a full over flow on the back (coast to coast style) so then the hole tank is open in the middle.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is algae free finally after the combination of bio pellets,skimmer and algae scrubber it allows me to feed as much as I want without having to worry about it. Now the only problem I have is getting rid of planaria worms.
This picture is after been gone for two month so you can see the detritus at the bottom.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1367774311.150212.jpg

Back