OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currentlly on my fish quarentine I have a red coris wrasse , xmass wrasse, royal grama, cleaner wrasse im gonna give it one more shot and a engineering goby but its not doing to good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on keeping the bare bottom? You may have issues with the wrasses and gobies without sand.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUIT BUYING CLEANER WRASSES PEOPLE!!! they don't live in captivity because they rely exclusively on parasites for nutrition. Get a neon goby it does the same job and lives and breeds in captivity

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUIT BUYING CLEANER WRASSES PEOPLE!!! they don't live in captivity because they rely exclusively on parasites for nutrition. Get a neon goby it does the same job and lives and breeds in captivity

Mike I think is all were you get them from and if you get them to eat. Mark mr saltwater tank has one thats been in his tank for a while and will has one that is been in his tank for a month and a half.

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on keeping the bare bottom? You may have issues with the wrasses and gobies without sand.

agreed! the coris wrasse for sure will usually boro into the sand to sleep....

from LA....

"The Red Coris Wrasse requires a 125 gallon or larger aquarium with a sandy bottom into which it will burrow to sleep, or if it is threatened."

xmas wrasse - "A 50 gallon or larger aquarium with a tight-fitting lid, a 2-3 inch sandy bottom to hide under if frightened"

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike I think is all were you get them from and if you get them to eat. Mark mr saltwater tank has one thats been in his tank for a while and will has one that is been in his tank for a month and a half.

A month a half is not long at all. And no its not where you get them from. Some will eat food but they don't get nutrition and will still starve to death. Find me someone who has ever had one for longer than a year.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month a half is not long at all. And no its not where you get them from. Some will eat food but they don't get nutrition and will still starve to death. Find me someone who has ever had one for longer than a year.

There is a guy in reef central that keeps them longer. He actually buys them and gets them to eat liver I belive and then sells them.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed! the coris wrasse for sure will usually boro into the sand to sleep....

from LA....

"The Red Coris Wrasse requires a 125 gallon or larger aquarium with a sandy bottom into which it will burrow to sleep, or if it is threatened."

xmas wrasse - "A 50 gallon or larger aquarium with a tight-fitting lid, a 2-3 inch sandy bottom to hide under if frightened"

Live aquaria also say that the melanaurus is not reef safe. Guys I know this things about the fishes. It aint like a couple of you dont have tangs in small aquariums I seen them lol. And again if me posting fish pics of my tank is gonna cause problems then I wount post any more.

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if you took that as hateful, I was just trying to help. They will try to boro between the rock and glass and hurt themselves. Just trying to help as I have one of those fish.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if you took that as hateful, I was just trying to help. They will try to boro between the rock and glass and hurt themselves. Just trying to help as I have one of those fish.

Thanks man. I reseach and pm plenty of people that have them for years. And they all said that on a bare bottom they just sleep under the live rock. One of the guys has a 4 years old red coris on a bare bottom

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melenurus are categorized as non reef safe by LA, but under the description it says' with caution'. There are lots of wrasses that are "not reef safe" because they will eat shrimp crabs and snails, not corals.

That red coris will grow to be over a foot long and will eat every invert in your tank. If it lives long enough without being stressed because it had nowhere to sleep.

That is the truth whether you like it or not. We dont post this stuff to tell you that you are wrong, we post it because we want to help, and we are in this hobby to take care of fish and corals so they can live , grow and thrive in the sytems we provide them.

Typed from my phone, because I have nothing better to do.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melenurus are categorized as non reef safe by LA, but under the description it says' with caution'. There are lots of wrasses that are "not reef safe" because they will eat shrimp crabs and snails, not corals.

That red coris will grow to be over a foot long and will eat every invert in your tank. If it lives long enough without being stressed because it had nowhere to sleep.

That is the truth whether you like it or not. We dont post this stuff to tell you that you are wrong, we post it because we want to help, and we are in this hobby to take care of fish and corals so they can live , grow and thrive in the sytems we provide them.

Ok Dowtish what size tank do you have?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are missing the point. Your tank is huge and will happily house a foot long wrasse, but I wouldnt keep one that can and will eat every bit of my cleaner crew.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are missing the point. Your tank is huge and will happily house a foot long wrasse, but I wouldnt keep one that can and will eat every bit of my cleaner crew.

Brother im not talking about my tank size. Check this out in your tank you are housing two tang I belive, a yellow and a powder brown which is not recomended but you still do it right so what is the diference from a wrasse not having sand and a tang not having room to swim. Also If you do some reading wrasse do not eat cleaner shrimp do to the symbolic bond im not saying it will not happend but that is been studied before. They do eat peppermint, hermets and snails which is ok cause they are cheap and it will keep him fed lol. One more thing is that I belive captive the red coris only gets to about 6 inches.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back