uploadfromtaptalk1356898714362.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 188

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap! That's some serious algae right there! You and Mike should hold a competition to see who can grow the most in the shortest amount of time. LOL

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap! That's some serious algae right there! You and Mike should hold a competition to see who can grow the most in the shortest amount of time. LOL

I think me and mike need to get a bussiness going since we are getting good at growing this green algae. Lol :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We could dry it and sell for use iNstead of nori sheets. Probly a lot more nutritious. I know my tangs go crazy when I add some algae instead of nori

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We could dry it and sell for use iNstead of nori sheets. Probly a lot more nutritious. I know my tangs go crazy when I add some algae instead of nori

I wonder how much phosphates it will introduce to the water if you dry it and then add it to the fish

quigimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how much phosphates it will introduce to the water if you dry it and then add it to the fish

Should be good wet or dry, the key is in the right amount(don't put in more then they will eat in a reasonable amount of time), as long as it isn't rotting in your tank it shouldn't break down into added pollution, as far as fish wastes go that's gonna get in your system regardless as to wether you feed them wet, dry, or prepared.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more than any other food or nori sheets. The algae converts the nit/phos it absorbs into energy so its not really high in phos/nit.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gha is a pain. Well I started the new tank and I had a few patches of algae at tge beginning and they started to dye but now is starting to show on other spots. Could this be spores from my other tank or that my filtration is not handelling it. I have a octopus skimmer rated for a 300 gallon tank, 400 ml of bio pellets, algae scrubber and rwoaphos. Should I up the rwoaphos and bio pellets. Maybe going with about 600 to 800 ml

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the bio-pellets some time. It won't happen overnight. I started my 150 total water volume on EcoBAK just over a month ago and my P04 is still the same as it was a month ago. The nitrates have been cut in half though. I started with 125mL and I just added another 125mL... I say give it time. I'm also battling some patches of HA that I think I have narrowed down to the dreaded bryopsis... Urgghhhh... But, I blasted two areas of rock with peroxide and now 3 days later those patches are fading. But... I did up the EcoBAK and added some chaeto to my sump so I'm not sure what is actually causing it to fade away...

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gha is a pain. Well I started the new tank and I had a few patches of algae at tge beginning and they started to dye but now is starting to show on other spots. Could this be spores from my other tank or that my filtration is not handelling it. I have a octopus skimmer rated for a 300 gallon tank, 400 ml of bio pellets, algae scrubber and rwoaphos. Should I up the rwoaphos and bio pellets. Maybe going with about 600 to 800 ml

I started with ROWAphos when I first set up my 110 gallon and removed it once I started pellet use and had a lot of GHA show up, within the next month and a half or so the GHA algae died off. Using pellets, a scrubber and, pellets is a tad redundant I would probably discontinue the use of ROWAphos once the pellets are full strength with is around six weeks. How long have your current pellets been running? You don't want to strip the water too fast. HTH.

Give the bio-pellets some time. It won't happen overnight. I started my 150 total water volume on EcoBAK just over a month ago and my P04 is still the same as it was a month ago. The nitrates have been cut in half though. I started with 125mL and I just added another 125mL... I say give it time. I'm also battling some patches of HA that I think I have narrowed down to the dreaded bryopsis... Urgghhhh... But, I blasted two areas of rock with peroxide and now 3 days later those patches are fading. But... I did up the EcoBAK and added some chaeto to my sump so I'm not sure what is actually causing it to fade away...

Your pellets should be full strength soon!

Last edited:
OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with ROWAphos when I first set up my 110 gallon and removed it once I started pellet use and had a lot of GHA show up, within the next month and a half or so the GHA algae died off. Using pellets, a scrubber and, pellets is a tad redundant I would probably discontinue the use of ROWAphos once the pellets are full strength with is around six weeks. How long have your current pellets been running? You don't want to strip the water too fast. HTH.

Your pellets should be full strength soon!

I think it was the skimmer I had was way underrated. I just saw a video on how the bio film that pellets produce its full of nutrients and can produce GHA if the skimmer is under rated. Using pellets and algae scrubber I belive will be a great conbination once every thing settles. Basically I would use my pellets to control all the nitrates and the scrubber to control all the phosphates.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the proper skimmer is very important when running bio pellets. just like luis said the bacteria that sheds from the pellets needs to skimmed out.

Luis, you have the right idea here with the TAS. It will be a nutrient exporter. To many people think that bio pellets alone will eliminiate all the p04 and n03.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the proper skimmer is very important when running bio pellets. just like luis said the bacteria that sheds from the pellets needs to skimmed out.

Luis, you have the right idea here with the TAS. It will be a nutrient exporter. To many people think that bio pellets alone will eliminiate all the p04 and n03.

Yea hopefully this new skimmer will do the work

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if grown enough algae it will consume all phos/nit. as has been shown with algae scrubbers and tanks overrun by GHA produce 0.00 po4 readings and still have healthy and colorfull corals. most if not all other export methods when dropped to 0.00 po4 has shown negative effects on corals.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as you guys know I had an accident with my tank and im in the proccess of building a fish room in the garage but I have a question my tank leak water under my stand into the carpet and about a foot in front of the stand and im thinking im gonna have to take the tank down so I can move it and clean the carpet. Has this happend to any of ya and how you guys deal with it

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang man that sucks. At least you're bear bottom and corals haven't encrusted yet. Those two factors will make breaking down the tank easier.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back