DSLR lens filters for tank pictures

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone suggest a lens filter(s) for my DSLR camera which could minimize or eliminate the unnatural blueness.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiffen 85B is good as well.

Something I have been working with is Adobe Light Room. If you have that no filter is needed, shoot RAW and adjust color Temp to about 20,000 k and blue is gone.

Not sure what you are shooting but this guys guided helped me.

Last edited:

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found using both a filter and Lightroom together give me the most flexibility. I sometimes like to shoot when just the blues are running and it's too much for just color temp adjustments. I've tried a BUNCH of filters and the Tiffen 85B works best for me, although it took a while to get the filter after I ordered.

These were shot under mostly blues, and the color temp adjusted upwards. Pretty true to what the naked eye sees under that lighting.

treehouse-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

rainbow hyacinthus-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

blondies-6 by Peter Young, on Flickr

P

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found using both a filter and Lightroom together give me the most flexibility. I sometimes like to shoot when just the blues are running and it's too much for just color temp adjustments. I've tried a BUNCH of filters and the Tiffen 85B works best for me, although it took a while to get the filter after I ordered.

These were shot under mostly blues, and the color temp adjusted upwards. Pretty true to what the naked eye sees under that lighting.

treehouse-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

rainbow hyacinthus-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr

blondies-6 by Peter Young, on Flickr

P
Beautiful pic's! I have a Tiffen #16 Orange on order. Do you accomplish all this with the FREE Lighthouse app or to you pay for an upgrade?

Last edited:

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful pic's! I have a Tiffen #16 Orange on order. Do you accomplish all this with the FREE Lighthouse app or to you pay for an upgrade?
The #16 is similar to the 85B. But not always needed with Temp adjustment in LR. Not sure but I don't think they have a free desk top Light Room. Maybe a free trial. I broke down and pay the 10 bucks a month.

IMG_4439.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried the #16, but the Orange #21 didn't quite work. I use the full version of Lightroom, but did the download version instead of the subscription. Can't remember what I paid, but I do remember they make it VERY difficult to find how to order that way. Figured I wouldn't really care about updates etc as an amateur. Was def worth it though (although I'm not shooting as much as I used to).

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PedroYoung @Jeffcb

Could you post what equipment you are using to take these great pictures? I need to do something different my phone does not take very good pics. Probably out of my price range though.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back