Dsnakes 125g Mixed Reef

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what could be the culprit. I hate getting new fish as I also hate QTing fish. I haven't done it in this tank and I am very afraid to add anything new unless it comes from someplace I know and trust. I can't bring myself to order online because of the horror stories like yours and others. It scares the bejesus out of me.....

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what could be the culprit. I hate getting new fish as I also hate QTing fish. I haven't done it in this tank and I am very afraid to add anything new unless it comes from someplace I know and trust. I can't bring myself to order online because of the horror stories like yours and others. It scares the bejesus out of me.....
Yeah, I am not a fan of the QT...which is why I mainly just observe. I’m nervous of causing more harm than good.

I was borderline ready to introduce the surviving fish to the tank today just because I was stressing over more potential loss for an unknown reason.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go figure...I won an auction for a female Watanabe Angel... :rolleyes:

um . . . congratulations? Pick the QT tank carefully. ;Nailbiting

(please forgive my attempt to lighten up the conversation - I'm still bummed for you and your recent loss)

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
um . . . congratulations? Pick the QT tank carefully. ;Nailbiting

(please forgive my attempt to lighten up the conversation - I'm still bummed for you and your recent loss)
Haha! I debated making a joke about it as well!
I will be purchasing a new QT for it.

I’m now debating grabbing the male that’s on LA...a pair would be nice. I’m definitely pushing the comfort of my tank. Which forces me to begin planning an upgrade. (Which I’ve been waiting for an excuse to do :D)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nolan, how many fish died at once? Could be ammonia. One dies and it starts decomposing releasing ammonia. Another dies and a cascading effect happens. Just thinking out loud.

Stray current would have to be very large amount. Multimeter is your friend.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nolan, how many fish died at once? Could be ammonia. One dies and it starts decomposing releasing ammonia. Another dies and a cascading effect happens. Just thinking out loud.

Stray current would have to be very large amount. Multimeter is your friend.
I have an ammonia badge, but it may have passed its life expectancy. I suppose I should purchase some new ones.

It was 7 small fish, but I can imagine that could build up quick in a QT with very little bacteria. I had been telling myself it couldn’t have happened that quick but I am probably reaching.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bedtime! Scared to sleep. Anxious to check on the QT in the morning.

I just finished dry rubbing 4 whole chickens to smoke tomorrow.

Ugh...I’ll probably order a male Watanabei as well...maybe design a larger tank while the smoke billows.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bedtime! Scared to sleep. Anxious to check on the QT in the morning.

I just finished dry rubbing 4 whole chickens to smoke tomorrow.

Ugh...I’ll probably order a male Watanabei as well...maybe design a larger tank while the smoke billows.

Sorry about your QT issues man :( Hopefully the rest of your new fish will do ok. Im working on marinating a bunch of yard birds in Italian dressing and icing down some cool ones for tomorrow ;)

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are swimming and eating this morning! Salt is mixing for a small water change.

Here is what’s coming next week. Still debating getting a male...
DD3E094F-178A-476B-8C61-F589F2CB0D5C.jpeg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like seeing pairs of fish (especially when there is sexual dimorphism), I feel like it can lead to more interesting behavior when they are partnered up.
bbd.gif
+1 definitely more normal life like behavior.

For the fish that like that.

I need to keep remembering some are like solitary tigers.
I keep assuming everything is like a pride of lions.

For the type of fish that respond well to pairing, it is a noticeable cool difference.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done it in this tank and I am very afraid to add anything new unless it comes from someplace I know and trust.

I tried the method of only buying where I knew and trusted.... it still bit me. All my live stock came from 1 store, I never had any problems with anything I bought there in the past. I figured if I had a problem I would know exactly where it came from. Yep, I was right, I know exactly where it came from. Then the last two fish I added (was supposed to be the last additions) brought something with them and lost 10 of my 20 fish. Naturally the most expensive and my favorites. He didn't listen when I told him he had a problem. He took some new fish home for his tank and lost everything in his home tank.

Fish are swimming and eating this morning! Salt is mixing for a small water change.

Here is what’s coming next week. Still debating getting a male...
DD3E094F-178A-476B-8C61-F589F2CB0D5C.jpeg

Beautiful!!!

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boooo. [emoji53]

Any place else?
I’ve been searching a bit today. Hard to find a male it seems. I’ll probably hold this one in a QT and keep checking Divers Den. I’m sure they’ll get another eventually. Then once a have a pair I’ll introduce them together in a separate tank before adding to display.

I probably shouldn’t have bid on this female, but it was impulsive after a few drinks :rolleyes:

They are a beautiful color fish and seem to be the best bet on a “reef safe” Angel.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back