DSR Power filter VS filter sock: Is there a major difference?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious about thoughts on this. Is there a major difference between the power filter for DSR system of reefing and filter socks? I'm sure there probably is, but really very curious about it. Btw, I think the results of using DSR approach speak for themselves...the tanks I've seen using DSR are gorgeous! I'm just curious about whether it makes a difference to do it with a filter sock approach vs power filter.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume that the power filter accomplishes more because the pump is actively pulling water through. Filter socks are more passive because it’s just picking things up based on whatever your tank’s flow rate happens to be?

so the power filter accomplishes more. Kind of like the difference between water leaking out of a cup vs coming out of a faucet?

(it makes sense in my brain lol)

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about thoughts on this. Is there a major difference between the power filter for DSR system of reefing and filter socks? I'm sure there probably is, but really very curious about it. Btw, I think the results of using DSR approach speak for themselves...the tanks I've seen using DSR are gorgeous! I'm just curious about whether it makes a difference to do it with a filter sock approach vs power filter.

Hey Daniel. I've been following Andre Mueller's Reef Moonshiner program ( @PSXerholic ) for the last few months and the use of a power filter is highly suggested within the group for his system as well. I switched from "sometimes socks/sometimes not" to a modified power filter within the display tank and here's what I have noticed:

The good
  • My water is much more clear with very little particulate matter.
  • Much less buildup of detritus within my sump.
  • A slight increase in PAR at depth.
  • I don't feel a need to run socks any longer, which means no more changing and washing them.
The bad
  • Aesthetics - having a pump and filter in your display tank is noticeable. You can run it in the sump, of course, but I didn't have sufficient room and it seemed to me to be less efficient.
  • As the filter becomes clogged the pump will start producing microbubbles (this is actually my indicator to change the filter wool)
  • Purchasing and having on hand disposable filter wool (as opposed to reusable socks).
Overall I'm glad I implemented it as it has made a noticeable difference in water clarity. It's amazing how dirty the wool becomes in a week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Daniel. I've been following Andre Mueller's Reef Moonshiner program ( @PSXerholic ) for the last few months and the use of a power filter is highly suggested within the group for his system as well. I switched from "sometimes socks/sometimes not" to a modified power filter within the display tank and here's what I have noticed:

The good
  • My water is much more clear with very little particulate matter.
  • Much less buildup of detritus within my sump.
  • A slight increase in PAR at depth.
  • I don't feel a need to run socks any longer, which means no more changing and washing them.
The bad
  • Aesthetics - having a pump and filter in your display tank is noticeable. You can run it in the sump, of course, but I didn't have sufficient room and it seemed to me to be less efficient.
  • As the filter becomes clogged the pump will start producing microbubbles (this is actually my indicator to change the filter wool)
  • Purchasing and having on hand disposable filter wool (as opposed to reusable socks).
Overall I'm glad I implemented it as it has made a noticeable difference in water clarity. It's amazing how dirty the wool becomes in a week.
Thanks! That's definitely a helpful explanation. I think I may try one in my sump first. I could also possibly put it behind my rock work in the DT

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is a big difference. When i run my powerfilter the pumps flow slows so much. But its actually taking out smaller particles. If anything its filtering much quicker and thus taking out more. The other thing is iirc iron can also act as a flocculant removing particles that way which is dosed in dsr.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back