Dual 350 programming query

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friends, looking for some guidance on dual-programming gyres. Not doing what I expected. Perhaps by design, perhaps I'm missing something, perhaps its not working right?

Goal is to get the sweeping side to side surf break a-la BRS video. One pump ramps from 0% to 100%, the other does the exact opposite, so the interference pattern sweeps across the tank.

Should be easy, right? Use Alternating Gyre Mode since it has the most variables. Set max & min speed to 100% and 0% (not going negative). Ramp up and Ramp Down times at max of 1 minute (wish this was more like 45 minutes!). 15 second dwell at top and bottom. Pump B set to Anti-Sync. Should create two opposite sine waves (well, whatever this version of sine wave is). It doesnt. Something much more like the bottom picture is what happens. Doesnt match the manual.

Not bad flow, but not at all what I expect given the programming & reference manual.

IMG_5679.jpg

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a write up on this. Its not exactly like the BRS video, but it works well.

I run a variation of this on my dominant SPS 120gal with 2 Gyre XF250s.

OP
OP
T

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that’s what inspired my attempt. The manual shows alternate gyre programmable to 8 hours so I was pretty disappointed (as per Pelphry) to find a 1 minute ramp time...

Still, I’ve indeed programmed his schedule, or close to it. Nice indeed. Wanted to try this to see if there was any last room for improvement.

Have you had any luck building a standing wave in your 6’ tank? My old 4’ tank was easy. This new one I can do it with a single WAV @ 1 second. Can’t get it to work with the Gyre at 1 sec. even just cleaned them to make sure...

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back