Dual Evo Build

nicksEvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely jumping the gun here, and this may be a bit long-winded, but hear me out.
I've had an Evo 13.5 since the end of September and I'm loving it. I've been cycled and stocked for about a month and a half and I just got my first zoa frag.
Current build:
tank: Evo 13.5
Light: AI Prime HD 16
Pump: MaxiJet 1200
Filtration:
- Chamber 1: floss, Chemi-pure, ceramic
- Chamber 2: Refugium
- Chamber 3: Pump and heater
Live Stock: Mocha clowns (2), yellow watchman goby (new), coral banded shrimp, assorted crabs and snails

Now that I have that out of the way. I want another one. I want to increase my bio load, I want a Royal Gramma basslet, while also being able to stock tons of corals in the nearish future. I have room right next to the first for a second Evo to serve as a real refugium. I'd like to link them together and have small inverts and macro live in the second one, maybe even another fish in there that isn't considered reef-safe (nothing particular in mind yet).
This way I could double my water, and triple my nutrient export using macroalgae. I was thinking of this one having a deep sand bed for sand-sifting sea stars and sea grass, I could regularly dose it with pods as well. I really just want to get the maximum amount out of this system that I can and I'd like to start experimenting with multi-tank systems.
What does everyone think of this idea? I feel stupid for thinking it might work and there's a newbie mistake for me to make somewhere in here. If you think it's possible, where would I even start? How do I set up the filtration to flow through both tanks without one overflowing? Any advice on anything?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the specific question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some attention

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Nick, You can totally set this up without drilling the main tank! The new evo 13.5g would need to be drilled though. It would also need to be raised a bit higher thank the running evo since the overflow would need to gravity drain back into the running evo. I'd butt them back to back (where the 3 chambers are located) drill a small 1/2 or 3/4 inch hole in the new one as high up on the glass as you. Can remember the bulkhead is a different size of pipe than the original 3/4 in piping so take that into account when you drill it. Then have the new tank overflow drain into one of the 3 chambers of the old tank. Also you'll need a second pump that fits into the 3 chambers of the old tank to pump into the new evo I'd attach it to the already given nozzle of the new tank to give it a clean look just turn it up to get the connection to work with your new pump. Should work perfectly.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back